PDA

View Full Version : Excel - |Idiot guide

stuart
10-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Do we have any Excel experts :)

I have 4 sheets in a workbook, three are dated 2008 2009 2010 and contain figures which I complete on a monthly basis...

The 4th sheet is a running total of the other 3...

To save time, I want to be able to complete the figures in, for instance 2010 sheet, and have them appear automatically in the running total sheet...

Can this be done? and if so can anyone give me an idiots guide;)

At the moment I do this all manual.. enter data in the year sheets, then duplicate it in the running total sheet... I am sure there is an easy way to do this :)

Stuart

Col
10-01-2010, 11:31 PM
It is really easy.

Use =[sheet and cell]

1, Click on cell in your summary sheet

2, Type = then switch to your data source sheet and the cell on it you want the value on the summary sheet.

3, Press enter.

4, Job done.

You can then copy the formula down if there are multiple figures.

This assumes the format on each sheet is the same. You can put in the = manually for each entry but in anything more than a small sheet becomes a nighmare.

stuart
10-01-2010, 11:57 PM
That sort of did what I wanted :(

The sheets are accounts sheets for the site, so I have a seperate sheet for 2010 etc... and my "to date" summery...

I have done what you said, clicked on the cell in the summery, and entered = then on the same cell in the 2010 sheet, and it does enter the data...

If I then add a figure to the 2010 sheet, the data does not apeear on the other sheet :(

Also, how would I do this for the 12 months...

If you know what I mean..

Col
11-01-2010, 01:11 AM
If you want to send me the spreadsheet (with zero values!) I'll set it up if you like.

Tariq Malik
07-03-2010, 08:41 PM
That sort of did what I wanted :(

The sheets are accounts sheets for the site, so I have a seperate sheet for 2010 etc... and my "to date" summery...

I have done what you said, clicked on the cell in the summery, and entered = then on the same cell in the 2010 sheet, and it does enter the data...

If I then add a figure to the 2010 sheet, the data does not apeear on the other sheet :(

Also, how would I do this for the 12 months...

If you know what I mean..

Hi Stuart

I may be able to help! Have you tried Vlookup formula? As soon as you enter a new figure in your individual yearly spreadsheets that figure will appear in the summary sheet, as long as there is a common unique rerference in both sheets. For example, if you have the word "December" in both spreadsheets then with the help of Vlookup formula we can look for "December" in individual spreadsheet and copy it on summary sheet automatically.

MS Excel 2007 is very user friendly, as soon as you start typing the formula, it start displaying the hints for the next bit of formula. MS Excel 2003 is bit rigid as you need to memorise the formula.

Look at the following link for more guidance:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP052093351033.aspx

If you want, you can email me your workbook and I may be able to set it for you and afterwards if you need further help we may be able to chat over the phone.

Regards

Malik