PDA

View Full Version : Help on buying VAg com

shooey88
12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
im a main dealer mechanic....use 50 502 programmes and their equipment
interested in buying VAG COM as the dealership dosent allow you to use their equipment for out of hours work unfortuntly.
want to know if the VAG COM is just as good and similar programme to main delaers?
Looking at websites all of them sell different software and leads for all different prices and usage. WOULD LIKE HELP TO BUY THE RIGHT SOFTWARE AND LEAD AT THE RIGHT PRICE......INSTEAD OF ADVICE FROM THE PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A SALE
i want the lead for newer cars so i know i have to get the lead compatible for CAN DATA BUS....having the HEX USB+CAN lead. also want software for proffesional use. cant seem to find it cheaper then 300 quid. anyone help?

Col
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Look here...

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/Web_Shop/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=e010722300b349c4e892b3734b77515d

This where I got mine.

It is shipped with version 6 which is far more intuitive than the earlier versions and certainly better than the dealer machines, note, I've never used a dealer machine but have read extensively about how to carry out various procedures in a Bentley manual and would say vagcom is far easier.

P.S. I'm just a keen DIY'er who likes to look after my car.

shooey88
12-05-2007, 02:07 PM
thanx big col....the only thing about the main dealers is they rely on a guided fault finding plan software....which is like an idiots guide and gives u written instructions how to test and diagnose each fault given. sometimes long winded and annoying whilst other times helpfull.
its hard to always remember all the measured value, adaption etc numbers to do things which i imagine VAG COM dosent let you know?
the one you recommend is usefull and tempted to buy but how come its cheaper then the super proffesional version..costing 289+vat. is it cos the one you suggest buying dosent come with the 2 by 2 adapter for mark 3s.

Crasher
27-05-2007, 10:27 AM
GFF is rubbish to be honest, we call is Misguided Fault Finding. The only thing is, all the codes, readiness set procedures are now on GFF so the Ross Tech Wiki is a useful resource. Some data is held on VAG-COM and shown in bubbles but the system is not mature yet, I think it will improve rapidly though. I also bought two of my three VAG-COM cables from Ilexa, they are a good company.