PDA

View Full Version : Cluster Issue

stevepil
12-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi ALl

I have an Audi A3 1.8 2001 and have a problem with my instrument cluster, it is under reading by 10mph at top end which I have been told is illegal. Ie) when I am doing 70 the speedo says 60. The oddometer is also not calculating correctly, I recently done a 230 mile trip and it only clocked 201 miles. I have had mechanics look into it and not be able to fix it, the last one has ripped me off and taken £80 to get a spare cluster so could switch the motor for speedo over and has now done a runner, i am dealing with this. He moved my speedo so it sits at 10mph when idling so its more accurate however I have been told this is also illegal and will not pass its MOT.
Can anyone please help, Audi wont touch it or they will only replace but this is going to cost over 1k, I cant sell the car as no one in the right frame would want it with this problem, I only got it last year and its out of warranty
I really need some advice or any websites of people who can help, ive been advised about bba reman but I am so worried now about getting this fixed and I dont want to keep throwing money at it when no-one is fixing the problem. They also need me to send the part and I need it for work nearly every day.
Sorry for the long post but please can someone help me
Thanks

Col
12-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I'd say it is more likely to be the speed sensor providing the signal to the cluster that is dud than the cluster itself.

I'd look at that first.

stevepil
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for reply, I have had the ECU checked and all sensors came back OK and working?
also since it was adjusted to sit at 10mph at idle it is correct at the top end, if it was a sensor surely it would still be out? but as above ive had the ECU checked and all came back clear
any other advice would be appreciated
thanks

Col
12-05-2007, 10:09 PM
The ecu won't tell you anything with regard to a speed signal.

Don't forget it also receives a speed signal as well.

If the signal is bad for the cluster it is likely the ecu is also getting a bad signal as well.

I'm sure there is a measuring block you can read with vagcom that gives true speed. Also if you do a google search and if you have cimatronic, it is possible to get it to display the actual speed on the clima screen.

I'd do either and compare against a GPS speedo.

My money is still on the sensor.

stevepil
13-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Ok, thanks for that advice, I have tested the speed against a tomtom, not sure how you mean about speed test with the ECU, do I need to connect something to the ECU and then drive and monitor it?
Sorry dont know much about ECU's etc...
What sensor do you feel it may be and what is the cost for this to be replaced, is it something in the ECU?
Thanks again

Col
13-05-2007, 01:20 PM
It is not part of the ECU, and usually bolted to the gearbox. A reasonably easy DIY job.

What I meant about reading the snesor signal is;

If you can read the signal directly out from the sensor (either via vagcom of via the clima unit) you will be able to hopefully eliminate the cluster.

Do some searching on here, vortex and google for more info.

stevepil
15-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi All

Had ECU checked again, and Speed senor by audi, all OK, another fault just flagged with cluster is the service was carried out in Jan and service indicator was reset to 10k, after 1 month it moved to 4200 and has not moved since despite doing over 2000 miles, not sur eif its all connecte.d

Something ive also noticed today (prob normal) when I turn the ignition on all the lights come on but all go out apart from handbrake (normal) engine, ecp, battery - as soon as I start the car it goes off - is this normal?

Audi are saying they need to do the cluster, gonner cost me £800 min, I know someone who can rebuild unit for £150 but not sure what to do, Audi are saying thye need to do it and wont help me if I go elsewhere and it goes wrong so I am really worried. Anyone got any advice??

Thanks,
Steve

stevepil
14-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Need some help all, car has been with Audi since last Thurs re cluster problem, they have replaced the cluster, speed sensor, gear sensor, wiring to ECU, speedo and gearbox and the problem is still there. they think the only other thing it could be is the gearbox itself, cost £1800
what do I do? I am so stuck, do I just drive the car 10mph below the speedo all the time?
hope someone can help as I am really stuck, ive asked Audi if they would take car off my hands but they wont.
please help

cheekyboy_123
14-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Personally i would think about selling the car..
Rather than go privatley, maybe trade it in at a dealer - than its their problem!
I know most dealers will take the car for a spin before trading in, and i'd imagine they wouldn't spot the issue..
Just my two cents worth...It really isn't worth spending £1800 on a gearbox that may or may not fix the problem!

stevepil
15-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Picked car up today - £500 in total, but the gearbox needs doing, they have checked everything - the signal the gearbox is sending is true for the car. I did query the fact car has only done 30k, but apparently this does not matter, it really puts me off cars now, thinking such a big thing like gearbox can go wrong at such an age, what is better a low or high mileage car, looking at selling and getting a diesel any recomendations?
Audi have said if I cont to drive the car, I just have to remember that I have to drive 10mph slower then what the speedo says
any help again be great
thanks

stevepil
15-06-2007, 06:36 PM
sorry one other thing, if I decided to keep the car and just drive 10mph slower then the speedo all the time, do you think this could cause more damage or could the gearbox totally go, anyone know????

stevepil
15-06-2007, 07:52 PM
anyone with any advice, really dont know what to do, dont want the hassle of seeling but cant afford the repair and worried the problem will get worse if dont fix it,not just as simple as driving 10mph slower, i would really appreciate some opinion from anyone, thanks

stevepil
16-06-2007, 12:33 PM
can anyone pls help me out, im really stuck

Col
16-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm not convinced at the diagnosis.

As few things about dealers...

They only ususally service new cars and subsequently would have little experience of when things go wrong.

When things do go wrong, it would usually be on a car still under warranty from VW and as a result, they seem to adopt an attitude of simply replacing things until they stumble upon a fix !!

My advise would be either to...

Take it to a good independant who is used to dealing with older cars

or as I've previously stated;

Find someone off here with vagcom or even buy it yourself to diagnose what is going on. Have you cross checked the speed with a satnav speedo for example ?

stevepil
16-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply, Audi have advised they have checked the speedo via the ecu with a vagcom, they have replaced all the wiring, the cluster, the speed sensor and fault still there, they think with the rev range also high on the car, it all points to a fault in the gearbox. I have checked the speedo with 2 tom toms and audi checked with a road angel, its 10mph under the actual speed the car is driving, the speedo I mean.
thanks again - not sure what else to do, spoke to my local garage last night, they also deal with audi's etc but they are not sure what to suggest as they have advised if Audi have done all the above, there is not many other checks they can do.

stevepil
01-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I have been looking at getting rid of the car due to the above, noticed another small problem, sometimes when I accelerate it seems to shudder, like its misfiring, any ideas?
It was serviced in Jan, all clear not sure if it needs an oil change, ive only ever done oil every 12 months in service but ive read it needs to be done every 6 months?
ive paid out approx 8k for the car and repairs, ive been offered 5k to take it off my hands but im not sure if I want to lose 3k but on same note cant be bothered with all these problems, i have to drive 10mph slower then what the speedo says at moment
any advice?