PDA

View Full Version : Please Help MK4 golf tdi glow plugs

malc
10-01-2010, 06:54 PM
hi all,
i have a 2002 mk 4 golf tdi and over the last couple of days i havent been able to get it started when turning on the ignition i am getting no glow plug light ( the coil light ) i have tried jump starting and tow starting with no succes i had it going and left it running for 20 mins before trying to move it and it just cut out on me and now no glow plug light again i have never had this problem before in all the time i've had the car
is it just the weather and its too cold to get them warm or do they need replacing and help would be appreciated
thanks all
p.s. i am completely thick when it comes to engines so please be gentle with the technical terms thanks

zollaf
10-01-2010, 06:57 PM
no glow plug light usually means the ecu relay is faulty.

malc
10-01-2010, 07:12 PM
thanks for your help as i said before im really really thick when it comes to engines is this a major problem and is it an expensive one?

zollaf
10-01-2010, 07:26 PM
relay position 8, above the pedals, middle row one from the left. about £15 from a vag dealer, pull old one out, push new one in, try to start engine. they suffer from dry joints, so you can try resoldering first.

malc
10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
thank you if this doesn't work any other ideas

zollaf
10-01-2010, 07:58 PM
it should work. the ecu relay powers the glow plug relay. even if you disconnect the glow plugs, the light will still come on. so the clue is no glow plug light, meaning the relay isnt being powered up. the ecu relay also powers the ecu, so without it working, the ecu wont power up and the car wont start. as you can see, this little relay is rather crucial to the car running. if you have access to a soldering iron, its easy enough to pop the cover off the relay and check the soldered connections in it, as its usually a dry joint that causes them to fail. a main agent should have one in stock though, if you dont fancy that idea. try this and report back. if it doesnt work then a fault code read using a diagnostic computer will be required.

malc
03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
hello again have had glow plugs and 103 relay replaced and still no luck is this the ecu relay (103) or should i be looking at another one? once this is replaced and still no joy any ideas on what to have looked at yet? thanks for any help
also am not hearing the fuel pump when turning on ignition have checked fuel pump and is running fine also can't get a reading from ecu display just says car not responding
someone mentioned to me that it might be the fuel ecu does anyone know about this as it seems very expensive to replace if it isn't that and something more simple any help ideas would be more than welcome

tdigolf
03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
thought it was relay 109?

malc
03-02-2010, 09:15 PM
the one i saw in there is a white one with 103 on it or have i looked at the wrong one:confused:

martin1810
03-02-2010, 10:00 PM
103 is the glowplug relay.

wilfy
11-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I have the same problem at the moment. I learnt a new trick today from the nice recovery man if you can't start the engine if you have this problem. All you do is take the air intake pipe off and spray carb cleaner into this pipe whilst cranking. I am presuming as it is alcohol based and highly flamable it ignites when under pressure. Worked a treat to get home to fix the problem.

Next stop ******** to pick meself up a 109 or 601 :biglaugh:

STEWY L
11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I have the same problem at the moment. I learnt a new trick today from the nice recovery man if you can't start the engine if you have this problem. All you do is take the air intake pipe off and spray carb cleaner into this pipe whilst cranking. I am presuming as it is alcohol based and highly flamable it ignites when under pressure. Worked a treat to get home to fix the problem.

Next stop ******** to pick meself up a 109 or 601 :biglaugh:
did the nice man tell you that it could blow the rings off the pistons too?
use sparingly,very little ,if you must
regards,
stewy.

wilfy
11-02-2010, 11:24 PM
bloody hell! he did not. thanks for ther heads up stewy... again!

I think I will be getting the trusty mountain bike to work via the ******** tomorrow :(

STEWY L
11-02-2010, 11:39 PM
no need to go that far,just don't "over do" the spraying.
one quick touch whilst it's being cranked,don't spray continuously until it starts,
or you could be catching pistons !!!
take care,
stewy.

MagicMat
12-02-2010, 11:50 AM
anyway, back to the original topic.

you need relay 109, its a gray one under the dash. Again its about £15 from the dealers.

Or i have a spare one you can have for £5 delivered. but for what it costs you may be worth getting a new one.

Matt

wilfy
14-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I picked up a 109 relay on friday from the dealers. £16 it cost me, and all problems sorted. God I love forums. Thanks guys