PDA

View Full Version : 3.0TDi or 335d?

jonl1983
09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi,

Newbie here and looking for some advice from A5 3.0TDi owners. I am deliberating between a 3.0TDI audi and the 335d BMW.

Im after real life mpg, performance, servicing/running costs and general all round how the car performs everyday.

cheers

onemanparty
10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi,

Newbie here and looking for some advice from A5 3.0TDi owners. I am deliberating between a 3.0TDI audi and the 335d BMW.

Im after real life mpg, performance, servicing/running costs and general all round how the car performs everyday.

cheers

BMW Engine is great but why the 335d - I have drive the 535 and 530 and there is no difference in performance I can see.

I have an A5 but not 3.0TDI I have had this engine in the A4 (B8) - quattro is in the real USP and the interior over the BMW.

I used to get 35 - to 40 mpg on the 3.0tdi I have so should be around the same - Grip from quattro is fantastic - Can not comment on Servicing as it was a company car

I would ask this question on the A4 (B8) for more info on the 3.0TDI

jonl1983
13-01-2010, 02:23 PM
sounds like stupid reason but i prefer the twin exhausts on the 335d!

Little bit dissapointed at the lack of responses to this. Are Audi 3.0 TDi owners scared of the 3 series or the 335d to comment?

onemanparty
13-01-2010, 03:07 PM
sounds like stupid reason but i prefer the twin exhausts on the 335d!

Little bit dissapointed at the lack of responses to this. Are Audi 3.0 TDi owners scared of the 3 series or the 335d to comment?

As I said I would post this in the A4 (B8) Section and you will get more of a reply.

jonl1983
13-01-2010, 03:21 PM
As I said I would post this in the A4 (B8) Section and you will get more of a reply.
but i am looking for an a5 specifically so i want to know how the engine is in that car.

Surely there are A5 drivers on here with the 3.0 engine?!?!

onemanparty
13-01-2010, 03:36 PM
but i am looking for an a5 specifically so i want to know how the engine is in that car.

Surely there are A5 drivers on here with the 3.0 engine?!?!

Hi I would also try the A5 Forum http://www.a5oc.com/

CJW-Innit
15-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Sorry i havnt got either so i cant comment i do love both cars my only slight problem is the 335D can only be had with an Auto box.

jonl1983
15-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi I would also try the A5 Forum http://www.a5oc.com/
will do thanks

mand
15-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I have tried the A5 3.0tdi Quattro - loved it, but also lusted after the BMW.
However after this winter my A6 2.5tdi Quattro was so good and my wifes BMW stayed in the garage. So I vote Audi.

cpd1
16-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Can't comment on A5 specifically but 3.0TDi is a great engine.I love it in my A4. Used to have 3.0d in X3 and X5, heavier cars so tougher to compare, also drove 330d. I think the Audi sounds better, economy is good for the performance and as already mentioned quattro was/is a massive plus in foul wether and feel more secure in normal driving.
Your biggest issue with one of these will be to say within reasonable distance of legal limits...

davidsheddan
21-01-2010, 05:35 AM
I've driven them both, and I'm on my second A5 paid for by my own wallet.

In the A5 the 3.0TDi is sublime, great responsivness, good fuel economy, and the ability to go like s_ _ _ off a shovel. In manual 6.1 0-62 times and 155mph, with those looks, and the individuality.... for me Audi Audi Audi..

The 3 series coupe or 4 door is a bit common, repmobilish - the A5 is distinct from the rest of the range... though that might change now we have the sportsback.:biglaugh:

skdotcom
24-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Hi,

cheers

I love the look of the 3 series coupe, but until they make Beemer saloons with 4wd I wont be buying another one. My B6 A4 quattro was fantastic in the snow recently, whereas two of my neighbours with BMWs couldnt even get out of the drive!

Geordie Amanda
29-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I’ve driven the 330D and the A4 3.0tdi and I still can’t split them overall. Realistically they have different strengths. In terms of performance the 330D is an equal of the 3.0TDi and the 335D is a slight step up, although the twin turbo thing is amazingly smooth for it’s power delivery (I have a twin turbo 123D).

I am a keen driver who does about 20K a year, so I’m not a bimbo who just likes cars in pretty colours. So, I’d say the BMW’s engine is smoother, definitely more economical and heats up very very quickly in the winter (it is an all alloy engine). Also the rear wheel drive is a blast when the right conditions prevail. Also I like the interior bits and bobs, things like the google map transfer from your PC to the car over the air waves using it’s in built sim card is great. But having just been through this winter and luckily owning a small 4x4, has made me think twice about the BMW.

The Audi has a nice growly sound and feels just about as quick. Also the Audi A5 and A4 are much better looking to my eyes. I also love the idea of Quattro (I owned 2 Imprezas in the 90s) meaning I can enjoy a bit of a blast more often than in the BMW.

Overall I’d sum it up as the BMW (at least in 330D guise) is as the magazines say, the better drivers car, but the Audi is a better all round, all weather car and it has much better residuals. I still can’t decide which I would prefer? Perhaps I should look at a Jaguar :D

:confused:

Demong
02-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I currently have a 335d M Sport saloon and have owned it for a year now. Great car and a terrific engine which no other diesel can compare to in my opinion with the torque that the twin turbo's deliver.

I would say though that the car if driven vigorously will drop well into the mid to late 20 mpg's. The interior is good but not great and that's where the Audi scores plus everyone second car seems to be a 3 series at the moment.

If you want outright speed get the 335d, if you want quality and speed and a little more exclusivity, get the Audi..

gould01
02-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Go for the A5 3.0TDI sports quattro, I looked at both and the A5 and the BMW but the Audi has better build quality/lines inside and out. I have had mine for just over a year now and still love driving it daily which returns between 46 - 48 MPG in the summer months and between 40 - 42 in winter + you have all the power you would want/torque and its just as fast as the A5 V8 petrol + a lot cheaper to run in terms of fuel,service, car tax etc