PDA

View Full Version : Strange light issue

Borab0y
08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Noticed tonight on my way home that when the wheels spin and the ESP kicks in the headlights dim,

Had to try it a few times just to be sure (fun in the snow :D) and it does it everytime.

Not that bothered by it cos I wont see it that often when this white stuffs gone, just curious if anyone noticed it on theirs.

toff3ltr
08-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know, should be fun! :biglaugh:

scooby_d0o
09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
i wonder id the esp system uses alot of power to correct wheel spin, interesting to see if it happens to evryone, do you have HID or normal headlights?

Borab0y
09-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I did wonder if the ESP used alot of power

I only have normal non HID lights

DBSK
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Theres no fun to be had in the snow with the ESP on! :biglaugh:

benjie
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I saw it too, also happens when you slam the brakes on, or if you pull both front window buttons up (and hold them).

Try this: Air con to AUTO, moderate temperature... activate the front window washers... report back when you've tried it!

badboi4lyff
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
mine doesnt do that.. but my car slipped out and spun around a roundabout yesterday and even though i put my clutch in, the car stalled? so i went to a car park and tested it out again, got the back end to slide out and the esp goes beserk but then the car stalls.. im sure this isnt normal..

RickT
10-01-2010, 09:52 AM
mine doesnt do that.. but my car slipped out and spun around a roundabout yesterday and even though i put my clutch in, the car stalled? so i went to a car park and tested it out again, got the back end to slide out and the esp goes beserk but then the car stalls.. im sure this isnt normal..

That sounds more like the idle speed is not ticking over correctly, therefore when there is a large power drain due to the ESP/ABS kicking in, its knocking the engine down to idle and then cutting out,.,

Is the engine ok from stalls if you dip the clutch really fast ??

In regards to the lights,,

I have noticed a drain in the past before if you have everything turned on (FULL) and then drop down all windows..

Its fine... I have a HID kit but not seen it with that.

qa15ar
11-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I have also noticed this, lights dim when esp kicks in, windows switches both pulled up, I personally think its the standard a4 battery not having enough juice in it.

scooby_d0o
11-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Its fine... I have a HID kit but not seen it with that.

Same. although if i break hard with HIDs on an abs kicks in, they do flicker just 1ce - i assume due to the drop in power

toff
11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
It's strange because EPS partially cuts-out ignition doesn't it? So you'd think it'd be using less power.
I guess EPS also applies the brakes to spinning wheels.. so perhaps it's the ABS pump that's taking the juice?

Al.

krysus
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I've had the same thing happening lately.

I expect you also notice the 'flicker' more cos of the snow.