PDA

View Full Version : Sharan Beta radio speaker wiring

tan159753
08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi

Just purchased a 2005 plate sharan. I t currently has a beta radio cassette with a cd player in the din slot underneath as a separate unit. I hate swapping cd's all the time so I rushed out to buy a MP3/usb player.

I have 6 speakers in the car, 2 tweeters and 2 door speakers in front and 2 rear door speakers (all working) . When i pulled out the Beta vw rubbish, i was horrified to see wiring for only 2 speakers ?!?. Searched on this forum and yes beta radios only have 2 speaker outputs.

How do I wire up the new stereo. If I only wire up 2 speaker channels to drive all 6 speakers, i dont want to blow up my shiny new setero. How are the VW rear speakers wired up anyway? If they are wired up in parallel then the radio side is only gonna see 2 ohms impedance and the stereo will definately burn out later. On the other hand if the rear speakers are wired up in series with the fronts, ie the output of the front speaker then goes to the input o rear speaker, then the radio will see 8 ohms which is safeish but will sound a bit dim.

What should i do? Does anybody else have 4 speakers (not counting any tweeters) wired up to a Beta radio or VW's stingy 2 speaker setup?

tan159753
08-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Maybe someone bright spark can say where the split off to the rear speakers is?

eastham
14-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Please tell me you got somewhere with this problem. I have a nice unit powering 4 nice new jbl speakers but it's all being powered by the front outputs on head unit. Sounds poor. Really would live to know where it's split so I could join in the rear output of stereo.

Please help its been battering my head for months!!!!!

IslandHopper
17-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi there,

I've got the same problem with my 2004 VW Sharan. It was purchased new with the crappy VW Beta stereo, which got immediately binned in favour of a CD/MP3 unit.

I got by for several years without realising that my rear doors do indeed contain speakers (I've opened up the connectors and crock-clipped my iPod to prove the music plays out). But I want to know where the rear speaker wires are presented under the front dash so I can properly plug into my new head unit.

I've spoken to a couple of garages. They tell me that many VW vehicles are manufactured with speakers in the doors but without wiring to the front dash. Unbelievable.

If anyone has solved this problem then please let me know. Like eastham I am very annoyed about this and want it sorted.

Thanks to all -

Stuart

Dmitri Popov
25-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Hello there, newbie here! Did anyone manage to sort the issues above as I'm having similar questions too!
Another thing, does anyone know if there is additional amplifier installed somewhere downstream (05 Sharan)
Thanks in advance!