PDA

View Full Version : Question Is my multi box working correctly?

GolferPete
08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Ok, so as I ask, is the multitronic box working normally?

1. If I leave it in 'D' and use the paddles to change gear, after a few seconds it reverts to 'D' again and prior to that will change gear of its own accord.

2. If I put the selector into 'M' and use the +/- to selelect gear, it refuses to let me select 2nd until at about 2500rpm, and certainly won't let me select 2nd when stationary, which is what I'd like to pull away in on the snow. But if puit back into 'D' at about 1600rpm, the box shifts back into the variable equivalent of 3nd or 3rd (ie about the revs I would expect if I had been allowed to select those gears).

Hope that the observations make sense.

pitch3110
08-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Yep, yep and yep.
In D if you hit a paddle it will overide to M. If you them leave alone it will drop back into D.
If you want it left in M move leaver to +/- and it will stay put, but conveniently shift down for you.
The 2nd gear thing in D and M is a pain I grant ya.

Great gaerbox and driving experience IMO.

Ta

GolferPete
08-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Pitch

Thanks.

Further to the above, what about the fact that even when the lever is in 'M', it still won't let me shift into 2nd until about 2500rpm, even when moving (using the +/- shifter).

I think that in normal conditions the box is mostly ok, but in addition to the above, when entering from a roundabout, it is sometimes reluctant to respond in a timely manner (ie it is very sluggish) to the throttle.

pitch3110
09-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Yes GP the 1st gear hold is rather long, but I am use to it now and am ready.

On the open road with 8 speed and tonking it it is real fun flicking up and down.

The only niggle I have is when stationary on the brake on Hill Hold it feels very shakey like the clutch is being riden on a manual.

I will pop it into the dealers just to check there is no software update.

nm2003
09-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Regarding the multitronic, I have noticed when when placing the gear into reverse, on any type of incline that the engine needs to rev more in order for the car to start moving.

This is nothing like my passat, with a normal trip tronic, (and all other automatics I have had in the past) that just touching the accelerator causes the car to instantly start moving in reverse.

Is this normal for the multitronic? Any thoughts?

2.7 S-line
09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I have noticed the same thing on hills
A6 2.7 multi ( older version of multitronic ) used to do this but not as noticably

GolferPete
09-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I have noticed when when placing the gear into reverse, on any type of incline that the engine needs to rev more in order for the car to start moving.

Yep, that too! My drive is virtually flat, but about half the time it needs about 1600-1700 rpm to reverse away. There's no doubt that the multi box is a real pain in these conditions as you lose all the finesse.

Thanks to the other posters. I may have to visit the dealership re not being able to change up below about 2500rpm in manual to see if there is an update.

givenchy513
08-02-2010, 12:11 AM
I totally agree with all your comments about the CVT.
Don't know why German follows American and Japanese trend to make CVT box.
In D Gear, normal throttle, the rev stick to 1600-1700rpm, and speed pick up. Looks funny, faster and faster while no engine shout. However, when entering into a roundabout or merge from a junction from stationary, always made me nervous and less confident. The gear box engaged to 1st gear takes extremely long, and the first 1 or 2 second, engine feels heavy and tight, then suddenly all power and torque throwed out to push the out away.
On a hill start with break, more nervers, right after the ease of brake, the car reverses back, if I follow the accelerator accordingly, the car will shake.

The 8-speed actually only virtual gear, cos the box itself is stepless, they only set 8 points along the gear ratio.

The 1st to 2nd gear with Manual Mode often missed out in busy condition cos not all of us can "hear" when the engine reached 2500rpm by using our stone ears.

nm2003
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I totally agree with all your comments about the CVT.
Don't know why German follows American and Japanese trend to make CVT box.
In D Gear, normal throttle, the rev stick to 1600-1700rpm, and speed pick up. Looks funny, faster and faster while no engine shout. However, when entering into a roundabout or merge from a junction from stationary, always made me nervous and less confident. The gear box engaged to 1st gear takes extremely long, and the first 1 or 2 second, engine feels heavy and tight, then suddenly all power and torque throwed out to push the out away.
On a hill start with break, more nervers, right after the ease of brake, the car reverses back, if I follow the accelerator accordingly, the car will shake.

The 8-speed actually only virtual gear, cos the box itself is stepless, they only set 8 points along the gear ratio.

The 1st to 2nd gear with Manual Mode often missed out in busy condition cos not all of us can "hear" when the engine reached 2500rpm by using our stone ears.

I had this problem about a year ago, and went to the dealership and they told me that the transmission has a number of settings. The normal setting and a high setting from memory. Well after getting the transmission adjusted the transmission to the high setting, I never had the stalling problem upon take off.

Regarding the hill start, the transmission should have the hill hold function. There may be a light backwards roll, but only on slight inclines. On larger inclines, the hill hold kicks in.

If the hill hold is not work like this, or if you want to get the transmission set to the high position, get your A4 booked into a dealership straight away. You will not regret the instant response from stand still.