PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Touran ABS light on

radfordvw
08-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi All,

First post on here! - Im in the process of trading my VW passat for a 2005 Touran sport 2.0 TDI.. 38k on the clock..

VW Dealer is getting car ready for pickup next week, but the salesman told me today that on getting the towbar done they noticed the ABS light come on all the time!!

Ive been told it needs a new ABS sensor and that it should of been done on a recall? (ive not heard of this being a recall!) - Anyway they are going to sort it for me before collection, but I am worried if this is the dreaded ABS/ESP fault?

If it is then its good news in a way as it means I get it fixed before I get the car so will not have that worry anymore, but I just wanted to see what people thoughts are on it? - since ive been told its the ABS light on all the time, and not the ESP! - maybe im panicking unnecessarily - but ive heard so many bad stories about the ABS/ESP on the Touran!!

Thanks!!! Matthew

repoker23
08-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Rad,

I bought a Touran 2004 plate 1.9TDi manual in 2005, still have it and I must say its the best family car I have owned. No problems at all.

I then bought another one (keeping the above as a second car) Touran in Jan 2009 on a 2006 plate 2L se Auto with 64k on the clock and again no problems.

Just out of interest how much was the sport.

good luck

repoker23

radfordvw
08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Repoker23,

Sport was 10890 but I got a good trade on the passat... Reassuring to hear about some trouble free Tourans lol - as since I have done the purchase all I have read about is ESP faults, Turbo's blowing up, and flywheels...!!

Just glad the ABS fault has been spotted now! - However I am keen to know if any other owners have had this, and if it is a symptom of the dreaded ESP/ABS problem since only the ABS light is on apparently!

So long as its sorted when I pick it up I don't mind! - car is from VW dealer so has 30days return on it, plus 3 month warranty, but I am considering extended warranty now!! - My old passat (2006 SE TDI 140) - I had from new and had 49k with no problems.. apart from needing new brake pads and a Electronic Handbrake that had a mind of its own!!

radfordvw
15-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Turns out it looks like the ESP fault!! - Got the car now - ESP light is on all the time - VW dealers tell me its a sensor and they are awaiting part! - luckily its a used approved VW so has 12 month warranty, so will be sorted next week (hopefully!)

I suspect it is the ABS unit fault.. but would be interesting to know if anyone has had this fault caused by something else!!

Thanks

justabof
22-01-2010, 12:55 PM
I bought an imported used (7000 miles) Touran last year. High spec, DSG and 1.9TDI engine. The ESP light came on last week. VW dealer says needs new ABS pump/ecu and that car is out of warranty (30 months old and less than 13000 miles!) It seems VW UK don't want to know about 'goodwill' because it is an import. My view is it's the same car, built in the same factory with the same inherently unfit-for-purpose parts.
The service manager at the local VW dealer is supposedly trying again with VW on my behalf. I'll keep you posted!
btw, I've previously had 2 other Tourans as company cars. No ESP problems in over 80000 miles on each, but they were changed at approx. 28 months. It seems that the ABS/ESP is pre-programmed to 'die' by 3 years old, which does not seem to fit the description of durability as far as consumer law is concerned.

Update 29 January. I have just collected my Touran from Crawley VW. They have replaced the ABS pump etc, having managed to get 100% goodwill contribution from Volkswagen!!!!
Full marks to the team at Crawley VW (no, I have no other connection than a satisfied customer) who persevered with VW UK, and many thanks to VW UK for doing the right thing!