PDA

View Full Version : smoke from offside front on start up

repoker23
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi All,

I have a 1.9tdi 2004 manual Touran with 43k and full history last service done at 41k .

Four weeks ago I noticed a small amount off smoke (greyish in colour) coming from the offside front (it seems to be coming from near the front wheel). I called out Britannia break down and the guy check the car over and said it may be just water evaporating from engine.

Went on holiday and used the car for the first time today and again smoke came from the offside front, have no waring lights and car drives ok.

I started the car four days ago when I got back from holiday and their seems to be an unusual noise (like something caught in a moving part).

My knowlege off cars amounts to changing a bulb.

Any insight to this would be grateful.

RickT
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi,

Is it coming from the brake disc ?? maybe the brake caplier has seized with the cold weather.

When its smoking... try dropping some water onto the disc to see if its red hot.

Rick

repoker23
07-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi rickT,

The smoke appears before I move the car

repoker23
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
The smoke clears after maybe two minutes, have only drove the car twice since this happened.

Once the weather gets a bit better will bring to a garage i know or would i be better bringing to VW.

regards

matthewgdavies
07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
This is almost certainly the auxiliary heater which only comes on when ambient temp is below abt 10 degrees - if it stops after a couple of minutes it's probably quite normal behaviour - if it's smelling strongly of diesel and producing clouds of smoke that you could hide the Bismarck in then the glow plug probably needs changing - don't know how easy that is on the Touran, takes abt an hour or so on the Alhambra/Sharan and theglow plug costs 15 to 30 quid depending on where you source it from - you may also need the fault codes read/cleared by somebody with VCDS if the fault has been noted by the OBD

repoker23
08-01-2010, 12:56 AM
No warning lights on dash, car runs fine.

Its the fact that some greyish smoke from front offside, which has only started the last four weeks, but i have only drove the car twice. With the car running idle on the drive an unusal noise from the same area i think the smoke is coming from.

I also have a 2l auto Touran and no smoke even with this cold weather.

Anyone else come across this

thanks