PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Recommendations

sbuk73
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Folks, I currently have Dunlop Sp sport 9000 / 255 40 zr19 on my A8 3.0Tdi Sport. As I understand it, the SP 9000 is now discontinued or hard to get hold of, has anyone tried any of the following tyres and what did they make of them taking into account quietness, grip, cornering etc.

Dunlop Sport Maxx TT
Dunlop sport 01
Goodyear Eagle F1

I have to admit I am bit of a tyre snob so if I already have dunlops on there would be nice to keep the same brand .... thanks.

EG-4.0TDI
07-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi,
Can't comment on the Dunlops, but I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on a BMW 330d that I also own. Good wear and wet weather grip but absolutely hopeless in snow or mud. I currently have Bridgestone RE050s on my A8 (but on 18" rims) and would recommend them - their steering feel is much better than the previous RE040s and they seem to last considerably longer.

Gerbil
15-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I had Continentals. They lasted just over 20k (which two people told me was good for an A8, and two said was dreadful??)

Changed last year to Dunlop Maxx TT. Review I read suggested these were better in the wet.

They seem to be a little quieter than the continentals, but I find it difficult to be objective about things like that.

No idea how good they would have been in the snow as I fell off a bicycle in the ice and damaged my arm so could not drive!

:mad:

argeez audi
24-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi,
I' not a Dunlop fan at all....don't give you any confidence in the wet. I've got Bridgestones on at the moment and they are pretty good, however I've got four Pirelli P Zero Rosso's ready to go on in the garage...can't make my mind up whether to refurb my current origianl 19's or go for some new rims ???? decisons decisons.

Micha_elD
26-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I read endless reviews before getting mine. I wanted the tyre with the highest level of grip when wet or dry, the lowest level of noise, the longest life, and the lowest price. And I wanted a good brand. And would like them to look good!

Guess what, there isn't a tyre with all that. The ones that give best grip don't last long, the ones that are good in the wet don't have low noise. Ones that work well on a BMW don't necessarily work well on an Audi, its frustrating and tedious trying to find the one that is best for your car.

I concluded that my priorities were: good wet grip, decent dry grip, long life. I was prepared to ignore road noise and looks

After re-reading the reviews, I went for Contis, just like Audi had, then shopped round to get the best price.

sbuk73
17-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I am now trying the Goodyear F1 asymetric on the rear - will probably change the front to the same in due course ... the way I see it, if you don't try something new how will you know :)

Keebs
22-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Ive had Falken 452's on the rear of my A8 3.0 TDi's 20" alloys for the last 22k miles. They were brilliant in all the snow we had in Scotland and they still have 4.5 mm tread left now.

Different story on the fronts however as, yet again, i have suffered premature inner edge wear despite twice having the tracking checked and checking the pressure every week.

Maybe 32psi is too soft?

Anyone have any views?

argeez audi
22-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I an running 35psi on 19's and wear is even. Probably worth trying it with abit more.

EG-4.0TDI
23-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Just a thought re premature inner edge wear Keebs, did you get the full 8 way alignment done (usually about £100 or so) or just the tracking (which is just one of a number of angles that need to be right)? Mine seems very sensitive to full alignment and I have also found that just doing the tracking without getting the rest done means that the tracking doesn't last very long. Might be worth getting the whole lot done...

bellkevin
27-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Hmmm. I have continental contact sport 2 and I think they are very good in the wet, amazing grip it the dry but I think the ware is poor. You're going to get that, something has to give.. Look at race tyres.. Amazing grip levels, expensive but only last about 150 miles.. LOL

Micha_elD
28-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Hmmm. I have continental contact sport 2 and I think they are very good in the wet, amazing grip it the dry but I think the ware is poor. You're going to get that, something has to give.. Look at race tyres.. Amazing grip levels, expensive but only last about 150 miles.. LOL

I'd agree with that, mine are likely to last maybe 20k miles, but then the Bridgestones on my TVR only last about 3k miles, so it seems OK.

Grip, wet and dry, are the most important things for me. I once hired a car with tyres that were boasting about how good they were for fuel consuption, and I drifted off the road on them. Sitting in a ditch is brilliant for fuel consumption, but I'd have traded the 0.5 mpg for the ability to go round a corner!

Keebs
28-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Yeah, ive had the full 4 wheel digital check for toe, camber and castor front and rear - all the settings are within the Audi Recommendations. The owner of the Wheel Alignment Business (CLCM in Sighthill, Edinburgh) was suggesting that i might ask Audi to raise the ride height by a little on the car's engine management system (not just the Sport Air Settings on the MMI). He was really helpful and took time to explain all the vagries of the suspension set up. He was also doing a new shape Rolls Royce at the time so he's obviously got a good reputation.

So i now have a couple of new tyres on the front and am trying 38 psi front and 35 rear. Certainly notice a difference in handling. In Dynamic Mode its very firm. Not tried it in Comfort mode yet.

Also having a problem with the off-side self levelling headlight. It seems to be pointing higher than it should and i cant see how to adjust it.

Any ideas?

Cheers everyone.

Micha_elD
01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I run mine at the max pressure all the time, even when there is only me using the car and an empty boot. I read somewhere in the 1,000 pages of manual that you should go below the max pressure only if you want greater comfort.

The tyres seem happy with 39psi, if they were overinflated I'd expect them to wear in the centre, but wear is pretty flat across the whole surface, on very wide 20" tyres.

Keebs, if you were running at 32 then that seems very low, who had given you that as a recommendation?