PDA

View Full Version : Caravelle V6 automatic Gearbox issue

T4-V6
06-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Firstly I would like to say hello to you all:D:D:D:D:D

my first post and i really am clutching at straws.:confused::confused::confused::confused::co nfused::confused:

sorry for the long drawn out explanation before I start.:1zhelp:

I have a 2001 2.8 V6 Caravelle with serious gearbox issues, when I bought it the gearbox had no drive, hey I thought what the hell i will get it rebuilt, I knew they werent cheap to do but i got the van for the right money. anyhow I put the Velle / gearbox into a auto gearbox repair shop and they removed the box, they then stripped it and got to a point where they couldnt do anything with it because a few components (carriers etc... ) were beyond repair. Consequently after a number of weeks had a dispute with the guy because of the lack of progress in getting the gearbox sorted, I then ended up collecting the bus with the gearbox in the back in bits. I now have a real problem it would appear these gearboxs are rarer than rocking horse pooo.

I then had the brain wave that i wonder if the Galaxy / Sharan gearbox was the same so i bought a Galaxy with the head gasket gone very cheap, removed the gearbox and found that the bell housing section of the bx is different due to the mounting angle of the enginein the Caravelle as apposed tothe Galaxy. The driveshaft entries look different also, the driveshaft flanges are smaller on the Galaxy. At this point all I could do was :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

Couple of points:-

does anyone know anywhere that could help me out ???

does anyone know where I might be able to get a gearbox from ??

thanks for asvice in advance

vince owens
10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi
I sympathise with your problem. What you have tried is exactly what I was thinking of doing, except that I was going to try a manual gearbox from a v6 Sharan/Galaxy. Your experience has now put me off!
Is there no way to swap the bell housing? What about using the galaxy drive shafts?
Good luck with sorting this out.
Vince

T4-V6
10-01-2010, 07:48 PM
afraid I have had many thoughts on this, the bell housing I dont think will swap over or at least no one seems to be able to tell me it will. The driveshafts dont really come into it its the angles that cause the issue. If I could get the thing in I would just have some custom shafts made

I am pretty certain the Sharan/Galaxy manual gearboxes will have the same problem, really stumped with it at the minute just dont want to loose interest totally as its such a cool unusual bus

I am trying to find info regading Diesel boxes at the minute, in the process of working out what final drive gears would be required if I could find a manual to do the job. Undoubtably the ratios will be all over the place but my thinking would be along the lines that it should be able to handle the torque and then sort out the final drive gearing to get everything back in line.

Alternative from that is curl up and die

vince owens
11-01-2010, 07:46 PM
What about the 2.5 petrol auto or manual? I would guess the final drive ratio wouldn't be too far out.
Vince

T4-V6
15-01-2010, 12:46 AM
different the casing for the EQJ is pretty much on its own as is the valve block, ready to burn it