PDA

View Full Version : cold starting issue

kenneth_t
05-01-2010, 11:12 PM
my car struggles to start when cold but is fine once warm. i have replaced the glow plugs and relay and also the coolant temp sensor. does anyone have any ideas what could be my problem?

herby0001
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
CTS would be the first port of call for me, but you can't beat a good old fashioned fault code scan. You can do yourself by downloading VAG-COM v409.1 and buying a cable - see VAG-COM section on this forum. You need basic laptop too.

Was the CTS a genuine VAG part? VAG-COM allows you to view the temp reading given to the ECU by the CTS, so that can verify whether that part is at fault or not.

Could be your battery not holding its charge overnight, so not allowing the starter to spin the engine up to its firing speed? There have been some recent threads about this. Try a search.

kenneth_t
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
i got the cts from gsf so dont think it's genuine. i'll go get one from the dealers and get it plugged into vagcom aswell. thanks

greg123
07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
If it's VEP (pre-2000) usually it's wrong basic injection timing. This needs to be set with the help of a computer diagnostic in basic settings viewing the base timing on a timing graph. Usually the only time retarded basic timing shows up is in hard starting in cold weather. These engines start well in the cold, the glow plugs don't even turn on all at till it gets to 9c and my 110tdi will start straight up in sub zero with no glow plug time!

There is no timing to set with the post 2000 PD so a full fault scan and accurate vehicle details would be good.

Greg.