PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Rear Washer on 2005 Avant s-line stopped working

db666
05-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Although u can hear the pump working no water is coming out the rear washers but the front ones are ok. Took the back trim off but the connection was intact and no visible signs of a leak here ( i pulled the pipe off and tried the rear washer but still no water came through). Any more joints connections that i could check and info on how to access these would be such a great help.

bez101
05-01-2010, 07:02 PM
could be frozen mine was this morning front worked fine

toff
05-01-2010, 07:14 PM
It's probably frozen, but here's a check you can do:

Remove the plastic cowling from the rear wiper central hub and pull-off the nozzle then try operating the rear-wash wipe.

If a jet of water sprays out, you know your nozzle is blocked. If no water comes out but you can hear the motor straining - it's probably just frozen water in the pipe.

I've just done a how-to guide for un-blocking jets:
Click here to see it (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=87959)

Al.

bez101
05-01-2010, 07:17 PM
It's probably frozen, but here's a check you can do:

Remove the plastic cowling from the rear wiper central hub and pull-off the nozzle then try operating the rear-wash wipe.

If a jet of water sprays out, you know your nozzle is blocked. If no water comes out but you can hear the motor straining - it's probably just frozen water in the pipe.

I've just done a how-to guide for un-blocking jets:
Click here to see it (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=87959)

Al.
if you read the ops 1st post ull see he says he pulled the pipe and no water came out

toff
05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
oops, should have read more carefully.

More than likley a frozen pipe in this weather db666 - I wouldnt bother doing any more troubleshooting until the temperature rises to +3c at least.

Al.

db666
05-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi
I have pulled the rubber tube from the back (afta spending a couple of hours removing the back trim) and the operated the washer but still no water came out. Have removed the two jets and they are clear...soo i,m thinkin theres another joint came off somewhere else????

db666
05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
U could be right toff as it hasn;t worked for the last few weeks and the temperature up this way has not gone above freezing...just hoping i havent popped a connection sumwhere along the line and all my washer fluid is piling sumwer....Just a note tho it takes over 2 full 2 ltr bottles of screen wash to fill it from scratch...Does the washer bottle connect to another bottle thats hidden underneath?????

toff
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I think you can only see a small proportion of the washer bottle - most of it is hidden in the wing?

I don't know the joint positions but if you worried about water escaping inside the car, put a pencil line on the washer bottle where the water line is, operate the rear washer jet for a 10 seconds or so and see if the water has gone down - if not, it's not escaping anywhere and you have nothing to worry about!

Al.

mikeybutch
05-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I think most of the bottle is hidden in the wheel arch.The risk is that the connector under the the front passenger foot well has popped due to pump pressure if the jet blocked or froze.Happened to my first Avant but in good weather but it took several days to dry out under the carpet .Best to have a look and if so reconnect as tightly as possible and leave the drying out until the better weather. I cut back the end of the pipe to give atighter fit and had no more problem for 4 years until selling last summer

db666
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks so much for that toff mate, much appreciated!!! my next car is a quattro then maybe i woulden,t struggle getting off my estate...sheet ice!!!

db666
05-01-2010, 10:13 PM
cheers mikeybutch...havent notice any damp carpet there but will deffo check again.

db666
14-01-2010, 09:34 PM
After finally getting round to investigating further i found out the following: I filled my washer bottle to the top and got the wife to operate the rear washer which in turn started to empty the bottle, however on hearing a dripping gurgling noise i happened to look down by the nearside wheel and there and behold was a nice little puddle of washer fluid on my drive which looks like it has come from somewhere in the wheel arch...any help /info/pics to get to this would be much appreciated

db666

bez101
14-01-2010, 10:51 PM
u need to take the plastic arch off then you can see the washer bottle
the pipe from the pump may have come loose or snapped