PDA

View Full Version : Golf 4 gt tdi 115 no power

Happy_Trucker
09-02-2006, 03:21 AM
2000 gt tdi 115 purchased today from friend service light is on , turbo doesnt seem to be kicking in , or it seems to be in limp mode , do vw's have this?( i know mercs do it only gives you reduced power) is it to do with the service light being on?
if i get it turned off will it improve?
(It has been serviced by the way but not by the *******)
i hope you say yes but im fearing the worst since looking on various forums , the car has only been used locally on short journeys for the last 3 years covering only 15,000 in total , i bet its clogged up with soot!(lady owner)
:)
any ideas of what my next course of action is will be much appreciated

Gavin78
09-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi, I have a 115PD TDI Galaxy which is essentially the same engine. The ECU locked in 'Get You Home' mode which was resolved and reset by a local independent garage at minimal cost. The problem was accompanied by a flashing glow plug light which signals an ECU fault (Don't know if this applies to the equiv' VW), final diagnosis proved the fault was nothing more than a faulty break light switch. My best suggestion would be to find a reputable garage who will be able to read the codes in your ECU.

Happy_Trucker
10-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Hi, I have a 115PD TDI Galaxy which is essentially the same engine. The ECU locked in 'Get You Home' mode which was resolved and reset by a local independent garage at minimal cost. The problem was accompanied by a flashing glow plug light which signals an ECU fault (Don't know if this applies to the equiv' VW), final diagnosis proved the fault was nothing more than a faulty break light switch. My best suggestion would be to find a reputable garage who will be able to read the codes in your ECU.

Thanks , i rang the local VW dealer this morning and they informed me this does not apply to them and it should not affect the power , i have booked it in for a diagnostics check with them on Mon at a cost of £72.50,hopefully this will throw up the problem , just put some redex diesel cleaner in , I am hoping it is just sooted up , but knowing my luck it will probably be more serious,

immyspecial
11-02-2006, 05:14 PM
hi i had the same problem and now iv sorted it...it took me a while to work it out....
i could hear the turbo whistling but the turbo power wasnt really kicking in..
i changed the air mass meter which is connected to air filter and it sorted my problem out...and my cars back to normal and im loving it.

its cost around £90 to buy and every tom **** and harry will be able to fit it themselves, its that easy.

also if you ask vw im sure they will say how common this fault is....all VAG tdi's seem to have that problem.

i hope it helps dude

Happy_Trucker
12-02-2006, 01:20 AM
hi i had the same problem and now iv sorted it...it took me a while to work it out....
i could hear the turbo whistling but the turbo power wasnt really kicking in..
i changed the air mass meter which is connected to air filter and it sorted my problem out...and my cars back to normal and im loving it.

its cost around £90 to buy and every tom **** and harry will be able to fit it themselves, its that easy.

also if you ask vw im sure they will say how common this fault is....all VAG tdi's seem to have that problem.

i hope it helps dude

Thanks for the reply , ive got a feeling that this the probem but i'm going to see what the diagnostics says at vw , i know it might be £72.50 for it to tell me this but i want to know for sure , i went to my friends house tonight and took his car for a spin for comparison a tdi 130 , the power in 3rd gear when you floored it was truly amazing , even from low speeds , instant high torque pinning you back ! yehaaaa
I hope that when mine is fixed ,if it will be similar to this i will be grinning from ear to ear!

FreddyTheFrog
13-02-2006, 11:05 PM
A Passat SE TDi 130bhp 03 reg had a similar problem recently. There was no power in any gear and any speed. When I drove it, it felt like the turbo wasn't working. The local VW garage traced it to the turbo boost pressure valve. The power returned.

Happy_Trucker
14-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Hello , thanks for all your help , i have had the car fixed today at vw, it was diagnosed as the air flow meter , or MAF , i decided to let them change it to save time as the car was there, the total cost was £141.00 (they had already quoted me 72.50 for the diagnosis check so i was happy , the car has got full power now but i haven,t taken it on a good run yet to give it any stick, but it seems quite good but not as fast as my mates 130 (obviously which pins you back in your seat , i bet the 150 is awesome , especially when they are chipped to 180! wow , all this fun on free diesel , lol

Keep on truckin :):biglaugh: