PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating clutch pedal on TDi Golf - any advice?

arthur picton
11-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi,

My wife and I have just bought a '03 Tdi golf (not the fast versions, its either the 90, or 100 etc bhp)

The problem we're having is when you rest your foot on the clutch pedal, even very lightly, you can feel your whole left leg shaking slighty. It's becoming really annoying as we can't stop thinking about it now when we drive the car, which is a shame as we both like the car a lot otherwise.

I have a Tdi Passat company car, and have no such problems (it's an 04). I feel no vibration whatsoever.

Because we bought it second hand from a VW garage, it has a 12 month parts and labour warranty from them. I've taken it in for them to have a look but the guy told me that's just how they are, and that its a different car to my Passat so I can't compare them. He said nothing could be done. While I'm sure he's being honest and not lying to me, I can't help but think that after spending so much on the car, that it shouldn't be this uncomfortable to drive.

Having searched on Google, it looks like other people have had similar problems, and blamed it on a worn or mis-aligned release bearing on the clutch (actually found one instance of it on this forum for a Passat, but other references to Golfs around too (Honest John's agony column on Telegraph.co.uk)).

I'm in a bit of a dilema. The guy in the VW garage has told me that's how it should be and that there's nothing they can do about it, but now I'm led to believe by the internet that it could be fixed by replacing a release bearing on the clutch.

While I care more about about getting my car running ok than I do about upsetting the VW service guy, I don't want to go back there presenting the google info if you guys all know it's a common problem with these cars, and that we've just bought unwisely.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. There seems to be a great depth of knowledge on this forum.

Thanks,
AP

ini
16-05-2007, 01:11 PM
A light pulsating sensation when resting your foot lightly on the clutch pedal is pretty normal for most TDI's. Unfortunately it is one of the characteristics of a standard VAG hydraulic clutch.

It is one of the few places inside the car that you can feel the engine firing.

The sensation should vanish upon depressing the clutch pedal.

John S
16-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm new to this forum and i must say i agree with INI, the fella's asking a legitmate question on a forum!

If the answers that's normal and don't rest your foot on the clutch , then that's all you need to say!!!:confused:

Been a member of MG forum and asked some fairly daft questions myself, answer is usually 'dont be daft' but always in good humour.

Chill out guys :beerchug:

shooey88
16-05-2007, 01:50 PM
fair enough....apologies....welcome to the forum to any new members

Veedubber
16-05-2007, 02:09 PM
It's becoming really annoying as we can't stop thinking about it now when we drive the car, which is a shame as we both like the car a lot otherwise....While I'm sure he's being honest and not lying to me, I can't help but think that after spending so much on the car, that it shouldn't be this uncomfortable to drive.

Google is not always your friend - particularly when you are ill, I find...:o

I was also going to suggest asking the VW garage to give you a test drive in another one if they are all like that, just to put your mind at rest. Phone them up and blame the wife's non-stop nagging and you need to just shut her up and sorry, sorry I'm not saying you're not telling the truth but this would help a lot.

I think having spent money on a car, particularly from a dealership garage, you are entitled to keep going back and asking until you are happy. Regardless of how straightforward the answer actually is or what google says.

And :beerchug: I ask all sorts of daft dimwit questions and so far have been welcome to do so here. It's all been very friendly!

Good luck finding the answer

bora(ing) nick
16-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I drive a Bora TDI PD 100, and the clutch pedal does vibrate a little. It's normal.... and its only noticeable right at the top of the "range".

It's just a characteristic of the hydraulic clutch that VW use....

Nick

nel636
16-05-2007, 03:20 PM
bora nick! - could this also be true for my golf gti? as when i pull away in first it feels like a gentle knocking when releasing the clutch. and whilst i am driving and if i put a my foot on it slightly i can feel that vibration again - not that i rest it on the clutch, i actually use the rest!

its just i would like to know because its peeing me off at times.

thanks lads

bora(ing) nick
16-05-2007, 03:32 PM
bora nick! - could this also be true for my golf gti? as when i pull away in first it feels like a gentle knocking when releasing the clutch. and whilst i am driving and if i put a my foot on it slightly i can feel that vibration again - not that i rest it on the clutch, i actually use the rest!

its just i would like to know because its peeing me off at times.

thanks lads

Sounds the same but i'm never driven a golf GTI, so not sure.....

Does any1 else you know have a gti that you can compare?

Nick

Veedubber
16-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Hello!

I have a Golf GTi of which you speak, but my clutch does not vibrate or otherwise shudder. It does, however, creak slightly as I let it out - I only really notice when driving away in the morning and haven't paid attention to see if that's the only time it happens. But no, no knocking or vibrating.

ETA Maybe it's my car that's wrong? Where can I get something to make my clutch vibrate?

bora(ing) nick
16-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Hello!

I have a Golf GTi of which you speak, but my clutch does not vibrate or otherwise shudder. It does, however, creak slightly as I let it out - I only really notice when driving away in the morning and haven't paid attention to see if that's the only time it happens. But no, no knocking or vibrating.

ETA Maybe it's my car that's wrong? Where can I get something to make my clutch vibrate?

lol....

My clutch squeaks also.... only noticeable when the radio is off, (never).

Veedubber
16-05-2007, 03:55 PM
lol....

My clutch squeaks also.... only noticeable when the radio is off, (never).

Yes, I suspect that's why I only ever notice in the morning! It's a reassuring, quality kind of creak though, not a plasticky shoddy sort...:Blush:

nel636
16-05-2007, 04:16 PM
well my clutch has no squeking but it does have the vibrate feature as standard lol!
i would like to know so that if it needs replacing i could do so under warranty!

onzarob
16-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi,

My wife and I have just bought a '03 Tdi golf (not the fast versions, its either the 90, or 100 etc bhp)

The problem we're having is when you rest your foot on the clutch pedal, even very lightly, you can feel your whole left leg shaking slighty. It's becoming really annoying as we can't stop thinking about it now when we drive the car, which is a shame as we both like the car a lot otherwise.

I have a Tdi Passat company car, and have no such problems (it's an 04). I feel no vibration whatsoever.

Because we bought it second hand from a VW garage, it has a 12 month parts and labour warranty from them. I've taken it in for them to have a look but the guy told me that's just how they are, and that its a different car to my Passat so I can't compare them. He said nothing could be done. While I'm sure he's being honest and not lying to me, I can't help but think that after spending so much on the car, that it shouldn't be this uncomfortable to drive.

Having searched on Google, it looks like other people have had similar problems, and blamed it on a worn or mis-aligned release bearing on the clutch (actually found one instance of it on this forum for a Passat, but other references to Golfs around too (Honest John's agony column on Telegraph.co.uk)).

I'm in a bit of a dilema. The guy in the VW garage has told me that's how it should be and that there's nothing they can do about it, but now I'm led to believe by the internet that it could be fixed by replacing a release bearing on the clutch.

While I care more about about getting my car running ok than I do about upsetting the VW service guy, I don't want to go back there presenting the google info if you guys all know it's a common problem with these cars, and that we've just bought unwisely.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. There seems to be a great depth of knowledge on this forum.

Thanks,
AP

My A4 has a little shake that can be detected through the clutch pedal, I don't expect it to be a serious problem.

Rob:D

Eshrules
16-05-2007, 11:44 PM
my golf also has a slight juddering, but only noticeable when at idle and you gently rest your foot on the clutch, once clutch is depressed, it stops. i've always assumed (i presume correctly) that this is simply the running of the engine.

n.b in regards to your warranty, if you want to cover your back against failure, ask the mechanic to give a written report on the state of the clutch, if he deems it without fault and it fails lets say 11 1/2 months down the line, they can't turn around and deem that to be fair wear and tear as it is an arguable point that the fault was reported nearly a year previous but was ignored. similar to having a survey done on a house.

macdoc
17-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I have 2 new VW, 1 Jetta & 1 Passat. The Jetta is a 6 spd manual and it had that slight vibration from the clutch pedal from new. Its now settled in after 10,000 Kms and now the vibration is all gone. :Blush:

arthur picton
18-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your constructive comments. :beerchug:

Today I test drove a similar car to the one we bought and it had the same problem, just not nearly as severe. I asked the salesguy about it and he went to ask his VW service engneer. When he came back he said that its a common fault with most, if not all TDi Golfs and its caused by the 'double-mass fly wheel'. :confused:

Not being a car person at all (I love driving, but I'm not a mechanic!) I feel a bit like I've just been asked to go get a long-weight from the stores department on my first day in a new job! (i.e. what the hell's a double mass flywheel, and why does it make my left leg shake when I'm driving my new car!!!!).

Thanks again for all the advice. Still not sure what to do :confused: .

If it's that common, I would have thought that I wouldn't be the only one on here complaining about it, considering how many TDi's you see on the road.

The only thing I can think is that I have a particularly bad one, but I still can't see why there's nothing anyone can do about it. How much is a new flywheel?!.... :(

Veedubber
18-05-2007, 03:40 PM
If it's that common, I would have thought that I wouldn't be the only one on here complaining about it, considering how many TDi's you see on the road.

The only thing I can think is that I have a particularly bad one, but I still can't see why there's nothing anyone can do about it. How much is a new flywheel?!.... :(

Well.... if the man at the garage said they were all like that and it's down to the double rum and fly wheel then maybe if you buy a new double rum, it might still vibrate annoyingly? It does seem a bit odd, I must say... perhaps it's there to remind you it's a diesel? :(

It does sound pretty extreme and it's rubbish that there doesn't seem to be anything to do. I might have a go at getting them to fit a new rum wheel or at least take it in to check the state of it but I fear they will feel they have done enough and it's not actually a fault but 'just' an annoyance. You could try the old thing about how disappointed you are, expected more from a quality franchise, would expect to be treated like this at backstreet garage but coming to franchised VW garage, top notch quality and service, expected more and anything's worth a try. It's a shame because you wouldn't expect that from a quality make, would you?

Poop.

Captain Answer
18-05-2007, 05:51 PM
You shouldn't "rest" your foot against your clutch peddle during normal driving anyway only to put it up and down else it can spontaneously combust and make the car a rolling firebomb

N.B thats an exageration but it can wear the thrust bearing

spen
14-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi

I am currently investigating whether this problem (on a 57 passat) is 'normal'. The dealer says it is but i dont think i should change my style of drivng to suit the vehicle as recommended by the manager. I've never driven a car which vibrates my foot as i change gear. I dont believe VW intended to complete a design which operates like this. Very poor design.
I could do with finding a passat or new golf that doesnt have this problem so i can say, please fix mine.

I cannot put up with this annoying trait. I will have to look if i can swop for something better without losing too much cash. Probably a mondeo or mazda 6... they may have their own issues......

onzarob
14-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I think you'll find this issue on any number of new cars as they are all going down the route off dual mass flywheels. My car does it and it 9 years old.

B0re
14-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a s3 2002 with the vibration in the peddle I have been told that the gearbox is the same as VW’s diesels. I believe it the hydraulic release bearing or duel mass flywheel are going to be for blame.

I am going to strip out the gear box this weekend, so I will let you know my finding