PDA

View Full Version : Replacement EOS arrived - leaks and rattles

joolzh13
11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Quick History synopsis: Bought 2.0 TDI Sport in July 06, three months in problems with roof noise, rattles, then I had leaks then other issues which aren't so relevant to this thread. VW Head office finally accepted the rejection after about 6 roof repair attempts but I'd done 12,000 miles - they wanted to charge 15p per mile (£1800 but I eventually negotiated a price to swap the vehicle. The replacement came 25th April having handed back the first EOS on 19th January)

I finally got my replacement 2.0 TDI SPORT EOS 2 weeks ago. It looked stunning Paprika Red, Cornsilk beige interior, lux pack, winter pack, 18" chicagos, bluetooth & I-Pod cradle.

All was okay until the first rain, I have two leaks on each back window area. Not too major I thought, lets see if it leaks on the next rain fall afterall that rain may have come in when the windows dropped.

Bank Holiday Monday - I thought I heard roof noise but as I had a lot of shopping in the boot I thought it might have been that.

More rain - more leaking - oh dear. Phoned the dealer they can't look until 29th May.

Wednesday I drove 1hr 20 mins to work and cried, the roof has three different noises, two are rattles and the other noise is difficult to describe but between a wind swirl or a tweeting noise.

I wrote to Head office and said that although the Dealer doesn't know about the noise problem as of yet I want to know the course of action they would like me to take because the miles I rack up each day, if these noises cannot be fixed I don't want to be penalised mileage charges. They called me today and said not to worry your dealer will sort it all out. (Not quite the response I expected).
A couple of hours later a Technician from VW called he is coming to collect my car on Monday and leaving me with a courtesy car so they can fix the problem.

I rang Trading Standards to see what rights I have given this is a replacement vehicle but its too complicated and they have got to look into it before giving me advice!

I love the EOS but I am not prepared to listen to rattles and squeaks when I've parted with £25,000. I wil keep you posted on what happens.

hitachizx
11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
You have my sympathies. I have not had your noise problems but have had the leaking and i have just about had enough. I bought the car for my wife for christmas and has been back 3 times and it still leaks, i am now trying to negotiate to trade my wifes Eos in for an R32. Even though i have offered to order myself a new passat at the same time the dealer is not being very helpfull. My wife loves her Eos but i am now thinking about changing to i different manufacturer. We have had VWs for years but they seem to be heading down the same route as mercedes have for the last few years and compromising build quality by using cheap materials not associated with these premium German brands. Such a shame. Here i come Honda.

lesleystoddart
30-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Have been reading these threads and others similar with interest - wish I had read them before we bought our Eos!

We took delivery of our Eos at the end of March and were chuffed to bits with it at first. Then the little creaks from the roof became lots of big creaks and it has got to the stage where the car the car was a headache to drive, it didn't matter if you hit a bump, bend or were driving on a straight smooth road. Then we left the car out the garage overnight, something we rarely do but we were storing some stuff in it that took up a bit more room than usual. It poured rain all night, got in the car in the morning and came out with a very wet bum! Did a hose test, lots of water coming in all over!

The car is now in at our VW dealers where we bought the car. Phoned for an update yesterday, they are still trying to fix the leaks but my husband was told that they did not know when they will be able to fix the creaks as no-one in that particular dealership had been 'trained how to do it'! Apparently they are also dealing with another couple of Eos owners in the same boat.

My husband is quite a quiet reseved man who does not like to make a fuss - I am the opposite so, on Monday I will be calling the dealer to clarify exactly when staff training is going to take place - honestly, what an excuse!

Would be pleased if you would keep up to date with how you get on with your new Eos, this isn't the first new car we've bought but is the first time we have read of so many being rejected - not what you would expect from a name like VW.

Flash2
30-06-2007, 07:05 PM
on Monday I will be calling the dealer to clarify exactly when staff training is going to take place - honestly, what an excuse!

Sorry to hear about the troubles your all having with the Eos. It's a great looking car, but obviously not built for the UK climate. What you perhaps don't know is that not all VW dealers have the equipment to work on the Eos roof. It needs a special (very expensive) jig to hold it while work is being carried out. If they don't have the jig, I doubt they would send any of their techs on the (very expensive) training course either. Perhaps you should ask VW customer service to find out what dealers in your area have the proper equipment and staff to resolve your problem.

I hope you get it fixed.

Jim.

lesleystoddart
30-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks for that info, will contact them on Monday and find out what the situation is.

joolzh13
01-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Head office in Milton Keynes had my car for three weeks, I got it back without any of the rattles it went in for. I do have a rattle sun roof cover but it only needs to be slid backwards or forwards a little and it fixes the problem. I am so pleased with this car trust me you only have to drive an astra or similar to realise what an awsome car the Eos is.
Bummer that the Individual wasn't available to us from the off however there will forever be updates and so I will wait for a couple of years and buy the next top of the range.
Keep on at your dealer and dont get fobbed off. Make sure you register your complaint with Head office.

lesleystoddart
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear you have had your car returned satisfactorily. Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated. It is good to know that these problems can be resolved successfully, it is just a pain that they happen in the first place when you spend so much on a car.

I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow for an update and to suggest that if they can't fix the creaking, they get the car to someone else who can. We did not spend such a big amount of money to listen to that noise and I am not willing to hang on until they get someone trained up to do the job.

I am also going to ask them for another courtesy car. Thinking it would only be for a couple of days, we accepted the Polo they gave us, emblazoned with '£99 down, £149 per month' advertising on the side! My husband and I are both self employed and have to visit clients. We have another car and have avoided the need so far to take the Polo, but that won't last forever.

Will keep you posted.

Lesley

lesleystoddart
02-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Just to update on previous thread, spoke to dealers today for an update, not looking too clever. :mad: They are now at the point where they have tried everything that VW recommend to fix the leaks and nothing has worked so they are now having to go back to Head Office for guidance. On the creak side, they do have the jig required to fix the roof, but no trained staff. The area service manager was off today but he is to phone me tomorrow to inform me of when he intends to train someone. Have told the dealers I don't want the car back until it is 100% perfect as the leaks and noise are taking all pleasure out of the car, fortunately, the body shop manager who I have been dealing with over the leaks (not the creaks, that is the service department!), is in full agreement.

The only good news is they agreed to let us have a 1.9 TDI Passat until ours is repaired.

Will keep you updated.

Ben
16-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Any news on any of the stories in this thread?

lesleystoddart
16-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi

We are supposed to be getting our Eos back on Wednesday. It has been up at Aberdeen for repairs as our local dealer did not have the equipment nor the staff to fix the problems. We live just north of Edinburgh so this has meant a 250 mile trip for the car. They only finished fixing it on Friday and it has been a local holiday here today so someone is going to pick it up tomorrow and they want a day to make sure it is all valeted before we collect it.

Have been assured by the dealer that it is all well but the proof as they say, will be in the pudding! Will be getting a good water testing when it gets home.

Have made a written complaint to VW about the faults with the car and also the fact that they allow garages to sell cars they can't repair if problems occur. They have acknowledged my e-mail but have still to formally reply. Have had to pay additional premiums on my insurance to get cover notes for the courtesy car over the last few weeks and my dealer tells me I should claim this from VW HO so I'm keeping my receipts!

Will let you know if all is well.

MalcQV
16-07-2007, 09:56 PM
This is ridiculous. I believe other manufacturers are having similar problems with the folding tin-tops :(

lesleystoddart
16-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I know a few people with Peugeot cc's who have had no problems but I had heard that Ford had recalled their new convertible because of the amount of leaks.

lesleystoddart
18-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Well our Eos was returned to us today. The first thing we did was put a hose on it (no pressure) and guess what, it still leaks! They did manage to stop the creaks though!

Unfortunately, the general manager at our dealership isn't in today, so I decided to speak to VW HO because I had previously e-mailed them and had a contact name and number. They were very helpful, discussed with them rejecting the car as we really don't want to go through any more repairs and they have said although we need to deal direct with the dealership, they will back us all the way, which is a bit of a relief.

Unlikely we'll go for another Eos, bit of a shame really but just don't want the hassle!

Ben
18-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Whats the chance of some pics indicating where the leaks are?

lesleystoddart
18-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately we lost our digital camera on holiday and haven't replaced it yet so sorry, can't put any photo's on. There are several leaks, I sat in the drivers seat while my husband put the hose on and the water was running down the windows in at least two places - the middle of both front and back windows on that side.

There was also water coming in at the back window on the passenger side too and I'm certain it's in exactly the same place as before.

Really disappointed with it. :mad:

lesleystoddart
19-07-2007, 03:00 PM
We are still trying to resolve our leaky eos problem, but thought readers may be interested in the following link. Although it is Australian and over a year old, it has some interesting quotes in it from VW bosses.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=11417&vf=1

lesleystoddart
26-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Last post from me on this one!

Our problems have been resolved satisfactorily. Our Eos is getting picked up by our dealer tomorrow, having now been rejected without any loss to ourselves. We are getting a car from the dealer until we get our new Passat on the 1st September.

We were unwilling to let the car go for any more repairs. Long term, who knows how big those little leaks we have now are going to get and there's also the re-sale value to consider should vw not get this problem sorted out. Also, the car came back with 3 chips in the bonnet from its 250 mile journey to Aberdeen and back and a dent and a paint chip on the windscreen pillar.

I have to say though I found VW HO to be first class in assisting us getting this resolved and I would not hesitate to recommend that anyone who has similar problems registers their complaint with them. They telephoned me on several occassions to see how conversations with my dealer were going and also telephoned the dealer on several occassions to fight our corner. It seems to be a grey area with the dealers over how the cars are water tested but according to HO no leak is acceptable. The dealer was a bit sticky to start with but overall rejecting the car was a lot easier than I was anticipating.

Will be sad to see the Eos go, despite it's leaky squeaky roof it was a great car to drive and a definate head turner!

davidp
26-07-2007, 08:22 PM
very pleased to hear that VW HO were so helpful and that you finally got some resolution. I have had my eos three weeks and despite some torrential rain there have been no leaks although I have heard that VW fitted a new rubber seal design from April onwards but that is unconfirmed.

Hope you enjoy your new passat, at least you wil have more room in the boot and back seats.;)
Cheers, David

lesleystoddart
26-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks David,

Hope your Eos keeps up the good work. It is a fantastic car, am so jealous of those without leaks!!

Lesley