PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code Equipment for 06 Octavia 2.0 TDI

PeterFC
04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi,

my 06 Octavia 2.0 TDI is coming up for four years old 55K and I have decided to keep it long term as I have done with most of my cars. Normal mechanical servicing & repairs are no problem but i would like advice on which fault code reader/reset equipment to get. Should I go for hand held or one that interfaces to my laptop. Any views would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peter C.

martin1810
05-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Vag-com now called VCDS. It's the best on the market. Works on your laptop, costs about £260 from gendan or ilexa in uk. Don't be tempted by cheap copies from China.

octavia5
10-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Vag Com is best if you want to change settings etc as well as read/reset codes but if you just want to read and reset then its a bit overkill and several good read/reseters are available on Ebay

- or if you are also considering a remap there are several versions of the DIY map programmers available - search on STS, ST3 and Viezu are all reputable tuners and thier map writers also read and reset fault codes.

PeterFC
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. My use will be to identify faults/resets at serviceing and breakdowns and think the hand held unit would suit me best. I do not plan to get involved in engine remaps. Is there any particular make/model anyone recommends.

Many thanks.

Peter FC

Crasher
10-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I strongly advise you to get full VCDS with a genuine Ross Tech approved cable which will cost you around £260 and will work on a decent lap top. Anything else will leave you disappointed at some point.