PDA

View Full Version : flywheel and Clutch died

one litre wonde
03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Righto people, my flywheel died, causing the clutch to slip. the joys! i was pricing up a new clutch , pressure plate and fly at audi and they were wanting like £500+ . just though id pose the point just now of the LUK flywheel and clutch available at Eurocar parts which works out after VAT going back to 17.5% at about £383! just a bit of a difference, or they also do a single mass conversion kit, not to sure which one to go for

anyone else had there flywheel die on them and what make did you replace it with ( bearing in mind im skint lol! )

its a 1.9TDI Quattro avant 130BHP ( mapped to 180bhp )

jimjam
04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I feel your pain mate.
Mine went this morning on the way to work - Great!!
I'm now trying to find the best place to get it fixed. Not looking fwd to it cos you know its going to cost a fortune!!.
Can anyone recommend anywhere in the Midlands??

Great start to the new year!!!!

Embisix
04-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Had mine replaced with the LUK kit by a local indie (sorry, nowhere near the midlands).

LUK make OEM parts form Audi anyway, so you'll have no problem with these parts.

I personally wouldn't go for the single mass option, they have a dual mass for a reason and, let's face it, the 130 PD is fairly agricultural already (by more modern standards), why make it even more un-refined by skimping on the clutch? Just my opinion, your call at the end of the day.

Once replaced, why not go for a remap, your clutch will be more than up to the job! :D

bez101
04-01-2010, 05:05 PM
the single mass conversion from what iv seen an drove makes realy no diffrence to me they both drive the same i went with single in a 20T but with stage 3 plate and that was loads better thats the way in goin with this b7 iv got as soon as i kill the old clutch prob a week or 2 also how do you know the flywheel is ****** have you had it stripped down yet it may still be good iv only had to change 1 dual mass in around 5 clutch changes on a4's

jimjam
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks Guys, not really looked into the single mass option, although I may do now.
I've read that the dual mass was used in these cars to try and reduce the amount of torque the gearbox is exposed to, especially on 1st and 2nd gears when pulling off.
Don't fancy changing it to a single mass, and then mullering the gearbox!!!, so I think its going to be DMF.
Can't see the point in only changing the clutch and not the flywheel, I think its best to do both while its all in bits

one litre wonde
04-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Had mine replaced with the LUK kit by a local indie (sorry, nowhere near the midlands).

LUK make OEM parts form Audi anyway, so you'll have no problem with these parts.

I personally wouldn't go for the single mass option, they have a dual mass for a reason and, let's face it, the 130 PD is fairly agricultural already (by more modern standards), why make it even more un-refined by skimping on the clutch? Just my opinion, your call at the end of the day.

Once replaced, why not go for a remap, your clutch will be more than up to the job! :D

im getting mine from euro car parts and thats cheapest i can find, so you recon the LUK one will hold up to the 300lbft of torque i have :D

the single mass conversion from what iv seen an drove makes realy no diffrence to me they both drive the same i went with single in a 20T but with stage 3 plate and that was loads better thats the way in goin with this b7 iv got as soon as i kill the old clutch prob a week or 2 also how do you know the flywheel is ****** have you had it stripped down yet it may still be good iv only had to change 1 dual mass in around 5 clutch changes on a4's

i get really bad vibration through teh whole car between 2 and 3k rpm and it makes a dodgy noise when you turn the engine off, then if you rev it harder the vibration leads to clutch slip and the lovely smell of burning clutch