PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A4 Crash sensor location

scooby_d0o
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
hi all.

Quick question.

I have a 2002 2.5tdi quattro sport - saloon

airbag light came on on car, so Vag'd the car and got 01221 drivrs side crash sensor (G179)
Fault in circuit

Anyway ive done a search and come up with 2 possible loacations for this sensor - Door pillar behind seatbelt reel thing. Or inside the door behind/under the window motor.

Can someone who has actually replaced this confirm where it is please

kite
03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
You might have a broken wire in the loom between the door and "A" pillar...
Quite a common place for broken wires......

scooby_d0o
03-01-2010, 06:36 PM
You might have a broken wire in the loom between the door and "A" pillar...
Quite a common place for broken wires......

Inside the rubber boot? between the door and the pillar i assume. Take it the sensor is in the door then?

cheers

kite
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't know if the sensor is in the door or not, but the fault code looks like a break in the wiring..

scooby_d0o
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know if the sensor is in the door or not, but the fault code looks like a break in the wiring..

ok sound. if the wire runs from the a pillar into the door then the sensor must be in the door i assume.

any1 else confirm this?

cheers Kite

danclyon
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
ok sound. if the wire runs from the a pillar into the door then the sensor must be in the door i assume.

any1 else confirm this?

cheers Kite

Cannot imagine they would put such a sensor in the door....it would be madness if they did as one decent slam of the door and you'd trigger it (unless it was somehow damped for such a thing). In all other cars I've owned it's been in the main cabin - typically under one of the seats....but they have all been italian and/or Japanese cars...

Cheers,
Dan.

scooby_d0o
03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Cannot imagine they would put such a sensor in the door....it would be madness if they did as one decent slam of the door and you'd trigger it (unless it was somehow damped for such a thing). In all other cars I've owned it's been in the main cabin - typically under one of the seats....but they have all been italian and/or Japanese cars...

Cheers,
Dan.

I knw your suppose to check the yellow plug under the seat (thats the cable that connects to the airbag i believe) i hope your right, id much rather take the b piller apart than the door, door panels are a pain lol.
Very valid point ref slamming the door, b pillar sounds most likly then.

Cheers

martin1810
03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
If it's like VW it will be attached to the cross member under the seat.

scooby_d0o
04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
If it's like VW it will be attached to the cross member under the seat.

i thought the airbag was in the seat (in the side) and the other one was in the top lining above the door?
ive read that the yellow plug under the seat is prone to corroding or coming appart - neither hsa happened to mine so its either wiring to the sensor or the sensor itself. im sure the sensor is on the b pillar, its just i read a thread on here, and Crasher was adamant the sensor was in the door.

cheers

scooby_d0o
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
think i have my answer, the sensor is on the b pillar (read on another forum a guy with exact same fault) im going to order sensor today, and will ask for a parts printout to confirm exact location. ill stick a quick how to guide up once ive done it

cheers

scooby_d0o
11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
As an updtae, i can confirm that the drivers side crash sensor is in the B pillar under the seatbelt retractor, under a chunk of foam. The foam was wet - condensation i assume and therefore the sensor was damp - new sensor and all is good

Dead easy to do - 45mins done and dusted. Anyone need a hand with this give me a shout.

Does anyone know why i didnt have to clear the code from the ecu for the airbag light to go out? i though any airbag fault was recorded and red light stayed on until fault was cleared?

mike777
30-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Have same problem, can you talk me through it?

Thanks

scooby_d0o
04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Do you still need help with this?

mike777
04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
yes please, have just posted it again on the forum but no replies yet.

finnishaudifan
13-11-2023, 10:26 AM
Hey. I have the same problem. My friend checked the codes for the light and gave two 01221 codes. one i dont remember but the other was the same as it was for you. I had to take off the front end of the car because it needed a new camshaft belt but after repair and putting back the can to mgether the front sensor was broken. The sensorer has two pins thinking it must have two wires going in to it. But mine wire loom has 3 cables, 1 white, 1 brow and 1 black. putting in the white and brown the correct places the other 01221 code goes away but the other one doesnt. could it be the same problem for me as you had?

pdlh
30-11-2023, 08:58 PM
Tis a bit odd, but I've noticed over the years, if I don't drive the car for a week, and then get in and it's been raining, the drivers seatbelt is damp to the touch, wonder if there is a bit of a moisure in the B pillar issue on these older A4's