PDA

View Full Version : VW Sharan 2006 goes into Idle mode when hot on motorway help needed

sharan1.9
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Hello all

my VW Sharan 2006 goes into Idle mode when the engine becomes hot on motorways

symptoms:-

1.the car runs normal and accelerates as it should until the engine becomes Hot over a period of time and you accelerate over 50 % throttle

2.it runs fine around town on short trips with no problem accelerating but once the temp rises it goes into limp mode but this only seems to happen on motorways

3. when in limp mode the car will only react to around 30 % throttle and if you put it anywhere over 30% of full throttle the car will stay at the same speed it was at 30 % of full throttle

4.immedatley after restarting the car it drivers as normal until boost pressure rises

I checked the MAF and its not that

im guessing its the N75 valve or a turbo problem

I posted on the Vag com section and imp In Reading but can someone tell me if they had a similar problem and if so what the problem was

thanks

drodders
05-01-2010, 06:35 PM
have you had it on a diagnostic...this will tell u if it is your n75 or turbo problem...in my experience only i had it on my galaxy first it was terrible cost me a fortune i replaced nearly everything dreaded limp mode still came back so sold it...the i got my 03 sharan which i got the dreaded limp mode just a couple of times always on motorway especially from normal road driving to motorway slip road & so on... so i researched and in a nutshell had my bus remapped...that was a year & half ago never had it since...the bits i got replaced on my 02 galaxy cost me around £500 so i also saved aswell...first of get it on a machine someone on here may have one to lend you in your area or have a look at the http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford its very very helpfull...
this is only my experience only but worked for me...hope this helped...

thesoundone
06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I have this exact problem on my 2001 TDI 115 Bora..

On the way back from south wales on the M5 it suddenly went into limp mode as I went to accelerate up a long hill. Turned the engine off then on again and its been fine since. The only other thing I noticed before this however was my glow plug light stayed on for too long and then when I did start it it revved right up on its own and then idled quite high before gradually settling back down to idle normally. This happens periodically. Wierd..

I don't suppose you have that problem as well do you?

Mines going in at the weekend to get a fault code reading so I'll report back then...

Jim

sharan1.9
07-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I have this exact problem on my 2001 TDI 115 Bora..

On the way back from south wales on the M5 it suddenly went into limp mode as I went to accelerate up a long hill. Turned the engine off then on again and its been fine since. The only other thing I noticed before this however was my glow plug light stayed on for too long and then when I did start it it revved right up on its own and then idled quite high before gradually settling back down to idle normally. This happens periodically. Wierd..

I don't suppose you have that problem as well do you?

Mines going in at the weekend to get a fault code reading so I'll report back then...

Jim

i think they associate a erratic idle with a maf problem

the problem with my Sharan 1.9 D has now been cured.
it was suffering from what’s known as a "sticking turbo" this is where the Vnt turbo blades cannot operate/open properly as they become clogged with carbon deposits from the spent exhaust gas .

my problem was cured by my brother who is an Engineer, he removed the carbon deposits from the turbo and now the MPV is running perfect .
i also ordered a new MAF sensor as that was also faulty but was not the reason for the car going into LIMP mode

i recommend you post in the diagnostics part of this forum and find a Vag reader in your area to check your car s fault and then try and find a good mechanic as vw will rip you off .

thesoundone
30-01-2010, 01:17 PM
No not a MAF problem. I did replace that a while ago just for peace of mind.

Had the fault codes read and without remembering the actual numbers it said:

Tempreture sensor open circuit

Turbo boost pressure exceeded.

I had the temp sensor done and the glow plug light now goes out in proper time and the engine idles normally every time I start it.

The limp mode hasn't returned but I'm sure I'll have to sort the boost pressure problems out at some point.

Jim

sharan1.9
31-01-2010, 10:24 PM
No not a MAF problem. I did replace that a while ago just for peace of mind.

Had the fault codes read and without remembering the actual numbers it said:

Tempreture sensor open circuit

Turbo boost pressure exceeded.

I had the temp sensor done and the glow plug light now goes out in proper time and the engine idles normally every time I start it.

The limp mode hasn't returned but I'm sure I'll have to sort the boost pressure problems out at some point.

Jim

good luck with that

my dad is currently stranded at one of our houses in Nottingham because his 2.5 transporter wont start ..

im sure something else will go wrong with allot of vw audi group made cars .wish i bought a Japanese car instead .they seem to be allot better engineered with more advanced technology and generally better thought out with far less inbuilt design flaws unlike the VAG group who ensure a limited life cycle for essential parts and additional “taxation” for the vw audi group customers like you and i

my gearbox is currently being rebuild (estimated cost of 1500-2000 Pounds) as the Vw Audi group did not anticipate snow puting additional stress on the Diff:zx11::zx11:

it seems to be a common problem with sharans (even if not driven in the snow) suppose the vw audi protection racket i mean dealership networks have to make money somehow

excuse my annoyance
I wish my vehicle just did its JOB as its supposed too :zx11::zx11::zx11::zx11::zx11::zx11::zx11::zx11:

i anticipate i will get some stick for bashing the Vw audi group but the truth is the truth especially when it costs you thousands of pounds + time + stress