PDA

View Full Version : 150 GT TDI Turbo problems....

scooter
03-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Hello all,

Anybody fitted a refurbished turbo to their Golf??, my 150 TDI sounds awful, and cuts out/Limp mode when accelerating uphill etc, been told classic problem with overboost valve?, and only solution to replace turbo. Wondered if anyone can recommend a company for exchange Turbo and is this a reasonable job to tackle......

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Crasher
03-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I do many of these. A work colleague of mine has a completely refurbished ARL turbo sitting on his desk at work, still in the plastic back it came back in. His plan was to fit it to his 110 TDI Octavia but I have convinced him the car is not worth it and advised him to sell the turbo whilst it still has about 9 moths of the warranty left. The company who did the rebuild are extremely well respected and rebuild all of my turbo’s for me. One thing though, I strongly advise you to get a fault code read done before condemning the turbo. These engines will commonly generate code 17965 which is over boost but also 17964 which is under boost and the inexperienced can often confuse 17964 for a faulty turbo when it can be as simple as a rubbed through vacuum pipe.

scooter
03-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Many thanks Crasher,

Will get fault code checked out again, I am sure its overboost, does your friend wish to part company with turbo or could you let me have details of refub company?

Andy.

Crasher
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM
I will bully, sorry, ask him tomorrow.

scooter
04-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Crasher,

Many thanks..