PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change neccessary?

jon123
11-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi All,

I would like to ask some advice regarding my Audi A4 TDI SE (2004 model) which I have recently bought... It is on the long life service which was done last year at about 68K by previous owner...

The car has now done about 82K & long life service not due till about July next year / 8k miles.... I phoned an Audi dealer last week regarding an oil change (as oil looks dirty) & was advised that the oil used is suitable for a 'long life' & that i should save my £ on an oil change until the service is due otherwise it defeats the purpose of a long life service. I explanined to him that the oil looks quite dirty but he said that the engine has oil sensors in it which determine whether it needs changing or not..

Admittedly, the oil change light has not come up or anything so Im not sure whether or not I should change the oil or just wait until the car is due for the service...

Please advise!!

Thanks

Jon

AutoTDI
11-05-2007, 11:01 AM
I shouldn't worry too much about the colour of the oil as it darkens very soon after renewal.

RickT
11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
if its on long life it will be ok until the next service.. (as long as it was serviced on long life products)

If you want and can do it yourself is a simple 15 minute job.. quick drain of oil... replace sump plug... replace filter.. re-fill oil.. jobs a good one..

RicKT

nickynibbles
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
The engine is designed & will indeed last on the long life service intervals as long as the engine oil used is fully synthetic. If its been Audi serviced then you'll have no worries that an inferior oil has been used. However, annual oil changes are still a good recomendation to ensure the oil pathways in the engine block are kept as clean and clear as possible and thus prolonging the engine life as long as possible. Even with low use its still advisable. Its cheap & quick to do yourself or if your not sure how to do it take it to a non-audi garage with a gallon of Mobil 1 in the boot for them to stick in it for you!!