PDA

View Full Version : Touran Flat Battery / Electrical Problems / Central Locking

Busy Mum
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I have a 2004 Touran 2.0 TDi Sport.
It appears I have an electrical problem with the car (random warning lights coming on and off and radio/CD player ceasing to work).
This morning, the battery is flat. I have looked at the colour indicator on top of the battery and I think it is clear (ie battery is dead).
The manual says about not charging the battery or jumping the engine as special thickness cable are needed to do this.

Is this really the case? Could I do damage by jump starting the possibly dead battery? Short of having the vehicle recovered, how else am I supposed to get it to the garage to get it fixed?!

I cannot get into my boot either - central locking has kept it locked :(
Pushchair is locked in the boot......cannot get in as sliding shelf is pulled across...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

***THIS PROBLEM HAS NOW BEEN SORTED BY FITTING A NEW BATTERY***

ardentavenger
28-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Don't know if you still have problems, but I had the same which turned out to be a short in the internals of the radio. I jump started the touran off my audi, removed the radio fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet (no19 I think but can't be sure) and bought a new radio off ebay for £85 cos they are 520 from VW!!

VAGMAN54
28-01-2010, 08:52 PM
jump starting any modern vehicle you should use surge protectors to stop the discharged battery going from a low voltage to a sudden increase which can cause expensive control units to pop !! so be carefull

Busy Mum
28-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Don't know if you still have problems, but I had the same which turned out to be a short in the internals of the radio. I jump started the touran off my audi, removed the radio fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet (no19 I think but can't be sure) and bought a new radio off ebay for £85 cos they are 520 from VW!!

Thanks for the advice. Thankfully, I replaced the battery and my radio mysteriously started working again.
I was hoping it was the battery as I got a quote from VW for a new radio and nearly choked!