PDA

View Full Version : Howling noise from 2.0TDi

mjwman
01-01-2010, 08:17 PM
While driving slowly through town traffic I can hear a howling noise like a police siren with the rise and fall of the engine note.
It has been there for ages and appears not to be causing any problems. Is it anything to be concerned about?
Is it the turbo? Someone said wastegate but I do not know what that is.
Thanks for any advice.

greg123
07-01-2010, 11:25 PM
It's common/usual on the 16v engine and not normally a cause for concern unless the requested boost is not matching the actual boost. I have a customer who booked his car in for this issue 2 years ago, it's still fine. If the noise changes or gets louder/rougher, get it looked at - otherwise it just sounds usual.

In my experience it sounds most like a siren on very light throttle, on and off the throttle round town, when actually 'pressing on' the noise isn't there typically and all sounds fine.

Greg.

mjwman
08-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks Greg for that rerasssurance. You have described it spot on and there are no operational issues connected with the noise, which as you say dissapears at a higher throttle.

greg123
08-01-2010, 11:12 PM
No problem ;-)

Simon@DTUK
08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi, I had this issue on a 1.9 tdi 130 and it was play on the turbo impellor.
It didnt cause any day to day running or power issues until the turbo failed about 2 months later. It threw up a managemant light and when we removed the cold side hose and felt the shaft for play i was amazed at how much there was ( about 1.5-2mm in and out and about 1mm side to side ) i was surprised it lasted as long as it did to be honest. It had warn away the inside of the cold side housing:biglaugh:

greg123
09-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Hi, I had this issue on a 1.9 tdi 130 and it was play on the turbo impellor.
It didnt cause any day to day running or power issues until the turbo failed about 2 months later. It threw up a managemant light and when we removed the cold side hose and felt the shaft for play i was amazed at how much there was ( about 1.5-2mm in and out and about 1mm side to side ) i was surprised it lasted as long as it did to be honest. It had warn away the inside of the cold side housing:biglaugh:

But that was an 8v PD, which should never make a siren noise unless the turbo is faulty! As you say, if it even marks the cold side housing it's well on it's way out and needs replacing.

Greg.

Simon@DTUK
09-01-2010, 12:11 AM
But that was an 8v PD, which should never make a siren noise unless the turbo is faulty! As you say, if it even marks the cold side housing it's well on it's way out and needs replacing.

Greg.

Yeah, thats what i should have added to that post or the poor guy will be freekin out:biglaugh:
I was just explaining what happened to the 1.9 8v pd which aint the same as the 16v as you say Greg.

SORRY:D