PDA

View Full Version : How to change an Octavia engine

genevive
01-01-2010, 04:06 AM
I need to change the engine in my 2003 Octavia SDI. Can I just swap the engines over without the need for any mods to the ECU, or is it not as simple as that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Nigel

paul b
01-01-2010, 11:14 PM
The ECU and the instrument cluster hold the immobiliser code, so as long as they stay with the original car you should be okay.

Obviously the timing belt, tensioners and water pump should be changed at the same time.

Paul

Crasher
01-01-2010, 11:35 PM
The injection pump is not coded to the immobiliser. What went wrong with the original, the AQM engine is slow but usually very reliable.

paul b
01-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Thread edited, I stand corrected. Just swap the engine over then. :biglaugh:

Crasher - is that (injector pump not being coded to the immobiliser) just on the AQM or common across the VAG range?

Crasher
02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
No it varies from one type of VEP engine to another.

genevive
02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. The car was a taxi and has 250000 miles on it. At a quess I'd say it spent a long part of its life being run on heating oil as well, so its no surprise that the original engine smokes like Thomas the tank engine! I bought it for £500 with the intention of putting an engine in it, MOTing it, and driving it myself. Ideally I'd like to get a rough or damaged SDI that would give me an engine but other parts as well if I needed them. I've been offered a damaged 2000 saloon but unfortunately its a TDI, I don't fancy the idea of trying to convert my 2003 SDI estate to TDI!!!!!
Cheers Nigel

Crasher
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes converting to TDI is a huge job. SDI’s are rare but don’t forget that the same engine was used in the Golf 4, Bora, Polo Classic, Caddy, Seat Cordoba, Ibiza and Leon as well at the Skoda Octavia.

genevive
02-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Many thanks Crasher, I have a 2000 Polo saloon (99 model) 1.9 straight diesel. Do you kmow if the engine in this will fit. There seem to be a lot of differences in things like the vacuum pump alternator mounting and tensioner etc. The Skoda engine is an AQM where the Polo is an AEY. I asked this before and the replies were not very positive although not specific. Cheers Nigel

Crasher
02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
NO, it has to be an AQM.

genevive
03-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Many thanks for your advice Crasher

genevive
10-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi again folks, I have know found and bought a 2001 Ocyavia SDi as an engine donor for my 2003 estate. Can anyone advise me of the best way to go about changing the engine. Does the front panel screw off? Do you need to take the gearbox off the engine first, then lift the engine out? If so, do you have to open the bottom ball joints to get the drives out?Or is the engine and gearbox complete with the suspension all on a subframe that I can unbolt and lift the car off it?
its been a few years since I changed the engine in anything, thankfully cars are much more reliable than when I started driving!
Many thanks for your help

Crasher
10-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I take the engine and box out as a unit leaving the front panel on. I disconnect the ball joints from the wishbones by removing the three bolts (which you MUST replace).

genevive
10-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Many thanks Crasher