PDA

View Full Version : starting problem

passat2
31-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi there , can anybody help me solve my starting problem. I have a 1996 passat that has a problem starting now and again , it starts then stops straight away it does this sometimes ten times and then runs ok, it also does not like damp weather have tried spraying with wd40 etc but still takes ages to start . any help to solve this problem would be appreciated thanks

STEWY L
31-12-2009, 04:05 PM
it sounds to me,but only from what i've read on the forum, that the fuel pump may be on the way out.
of course it could be coil / packs,or any number of things.
you mention wd40,so i assume it's petrol, but if you could post more details,such as engine code, you will have a better chance of getting the help you need.
it may take a while though, with it being new years eve,
good luck,and best regards,
stewy.

martin1810
31-12-2009, 06:22 PM
If it starts and stops straight away it is probably an immobiliser fault. A code read might confirm this.

passat2
01-01-2010, 07:16 PM
thanks stewy l have already changed the petrol pump have not changed the coil will try that thanks again by the way its an old shape passat engine code adz 1800 monotronic injection

passat2
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
thanks martin as far as i am aware there is not an immobiliser fitted to my passat but then i dont know much about vw,s as this is a second car ,i normally drive a subaru impreza. thanks again for your reply passat2