PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Lever

bbb
10-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Hello
Parked the car and went to the shops all fine. On the way home tried to put the handbrake on at an island and it wouldn't 'click'. It moves smoothly up and down and the brakes come on but the lever won't engage.:confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks

new to vw
12-05-2007, 07:14 PM
is there any resistance on the button of the handbrake??????
does the button feel the same as when it was working???
lee

bbb
13-05-2007, 10:21 AM
The spring that pushes the the key against the toothed ratchet has snapped. Picked up a new lever from the dealers for £38.

Is it easy to remove the cables from the carrier on the handle or is it a garage job?

G

shooey88
13-05-2007, 11:14 AM
theres a technique to adjusting the handbrake cables...you have to do it from underneath the vehicle.

bbb
13-05-2007, 03:10 PM
not in this weather i dont!;)

danwelsh
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
mines gone just the same. been thinking about replacing it, would it be possible to just replace the spring? need to get the plastic off first, tried tonight but too dark to see. i might just get a few house bricks! job done

caldirun
06-01-2009, 08:49 AM
The spring that pushes the the key against the toothed ratchet has snapped. Picked up a new lever from the dealers for £38.

Is it easy to remove the cables from the carrier on the handle or is it a garage job?

G
The nipples just drop into slots but you may not have enough slack to lift the lever off the mounting studs to maneuver the cables out. If you have to slacken the adjusters the car really needs to be on 4 axle stands to get under and remove the heat shields and work above the exhaust pipe in the tunnel, tricky.

danwelsh
07-01-2009, 12:30 AM
attempting mine myself.skint so ive got to.waiting for a new handbrake to be delivered from the parts gateway,used one 22 quid.Already stripped the plastic off,not too bad, only a few tabs broke. hope i dont have to get under it, its minus bloody eight out there. :(

danwelsh
11-01-2009, 10:33 PM
all done:biglaugh: simple job doing the lever itself,felt a bit of a *** when i fitted all the plastics and armrest on, only to realize i'd forgot to plug in the petrol cap release.other than that all went well.no loose flappy bits of plastic.all done 20 quid.well done me!!!
for anyone trying,plastic held on with 3 13mm bolts,1 underneath big tray under lever,and 2 under rear ashtry. then 2 bolts either side of gearstick(level with front of seats when full back position). should just lift off.although i broke the cover off my lever getting it off.must be a way of releasing it though i didn't mind as the new one had one on anyway.remember to unplug cables as you lift it off.........and unlike me when it goes back on too.