PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Intermitant start problem Audi Coupe 2.0E 8V 1995

Jonnovision
29-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone. for the record I love my Audi, it always keeps me guessing... :biglaugh:

Over christmas I have had a couple of occassions where the car would not start. It turned over fine, plenty of charge in the battery etc but would not fire, it did not even try to fire up - it was like it was dead (no fuel or maybe no spark?). So...I left the car for an hour or so and then jumped in, and it fired up straight away, like nothing was wrong. There were also no problems driving down the road etc.

So - any ideas? This has happened twice after short journeys, I park it, get back in the car between 10 mins and 1 hour later and it wont start. No other symptoms come to mind. Today I left if for about 15 minutes after initially cranking the car over, then it just suddenly fired up again.

My friend used to have a Mk III Golf 8v with a similar issue, but he sold the car in the end (I think they are the same engine/running gear) - So I suspect it is a reasonably common issue. Please can you give me some guidance on this one? Would it be anything to do with the ECU relay as I have read in other posts (although that seems to affect the general running of the engine when idling/driving etc).

I have had the temp sensors replaced as they were causing me issues a few months ago and gave me start problems (as the ECU was thinking the temp was low and thus dumping to much fuel into the mix, I think - something like that, I am no mechanic!)

REVISED COMMENTS - 31 Dec 2009

I spoke with the garage this morning and the diagnostic came up with the fact that the speedo sensor was faulty. At firsth though the garage thought it might be the crankshaft sensor that was faulty - the garage is not sure if the 1995 Audi Coupe has a Crankshaft sensor - can anyone confirm if they do??

Additionally - would the electronic speedo sensor that is faulty affect start up? (i.e the ECU wouldnt let the car fire up because the sensor is not working?? - or does the sensor run off the flywheel or something, doubling as the crankshaft sensor??):aargh4:

Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jonno :beerchug: