PDA

View Full Version : Question Newbie needs help in buying an (03) A4 3.0 Cabriolet

ringo_the_audi
29-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello there.

I'm new here so a great big HELLO to all... :)

I am thinking of buying a 2003 A4 3.0 Cabrolet Sport. I currently drive a MINI cooper S (2003) and I have some questions to ask:-

What are the things to look out for on this model, I have heard of the air con test, make sure it blows cold etc.. But I would like to know more about the main problems related with this car/model.

Could anyone give me some pointers in what to look for, mostly critical areas as well as the more minor yet irritating things as I will be looking at it in the next couple of days.

Can anyone give me an idea in what the fuel consumption would be in comparason to my MINI cooper S?

Many, many thanks!

shook
29-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Hello.

I found this useful when looking:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=620

Try a few, get a feel for the car.

Cambelt kit needs changing at 60k, this can be a few hundred pounds.

Multitronics have a rep for eventual problems, particulary with the more powerful engines, but I love mine (2004 1.8t 60k). Many would say go for a manual or tiptronic unless you really like the vibe of the multi.

It's a fantastic car.

P.s. Why 2003 specifically?

ringo_the_audi
29-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Hello Shook.

Many thanks for your reply. 2003 because I have a budget, simple as that really.

I am looking to either sell my Cooper S or swap it for an A4 Conv.

Cheers!

shook
29-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Hello Shook.

Many thanks for your reply. 2003 because I have a budget, simple as that really.

I am looking to either sell my Cooper S or swap it for an A4 Conv.

Cheers!

There are bargains to be had with the Cabriolets at the moment, winter is a good time to buy...

Not sure about the mpg returns you'll get, I'd imagine the 3.0 is pretty thirsty, perhaps someone else can inform.

What transmission does the car you're looking at have?

fourringsrus
29-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi Ringo and Hi Shook.
As Shook says there are some great buys out there at the moment,make sure cambelt is done or if nearly due make allowances in the price.
Reference 3.0, super smooth with 220 bhp but bearing in mind the weight of the soft top she can be heavy on petrol
I think all 3.0 are quattro,so the auto WILL be TIPTRONIC 5/6 speed
I currently run 2.4 2wd A4 cabby 5 speed and just like Shook absolutely love the look ,the ride and finish but in all sense the 3.0 is the only performer
My last A4 was 3.0 quattro sport tiptronic auto,and juicey,so if you can find a manual,I think 6 speed was available in 2003 and then you might see 30 mpg or better
Look for full catalogued service history
Leather/alcantara interior not cloth,electric everything working
Good tyres are a must when bidding and the obvious,if it looks right feels right and everything adds up ,go for it
Enjoy
Stuart

Newt1
30-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi, I have a 3.0 CAB '03 Milti-tronic Sport. (Basically the car you're looking for)

I regularly drive from Middlesbrough to Bradford and get around 36mpg.
Even when driving fast I still get over 30mpg and I mean when Im really in a rush...90+. That includes crawling round the Bradford ring road and into the city centre.

Driving around town is where the fuel goes down to, at worst about 17mpg but my average fuel consumption is 28mpg overall so still reasonable for such a big engine and smooth car.

Points to check :

Check the roof goes up/down fully.
Check for damp carpets, its usually blocked drain holes.
Check all electrics work, windows, heater, aircon, lights etc.
Window regulators are fairly common failure so listen for any crunching noises when windows are going up/down.
Check exhaust for bodges as they're twin so quite pricey.
A little mayonaise under the oil cap appears to be common I think due to the fully synthetic nature of the oil.
Look for irregular revving / tickover, this can signify MAF failure.
Multitronics, any knocking, jerkiness, problems changing gear, engaging gear especially reverse, run a mile cos it'll cost a fortune.

I bought mine in the middle of last winter and got a significant discount. Definately the right time to buy a convertible. And the roofs on A4's are triple layered so extremely well insulated. You literally couldnt tell you're in a convertible once its on the open road (unless the roofs down of course).

Also leather interior is in much higher demand and the more toys the better appears to be the order of the day.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase. Oh, FSH is a must.

ringo_the_audi
31-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey guys... Many thanks for the replies. Lot's of useful tips there. I'm probably picking the car up tomorrow so lets hope it's a good one.

I'll let you know how things go!

:beerchug:

Happy new year to you all!
Ringo (peace and love, peace and love)