PDA

View Full Version : Question Regular diesel vs the expensive stuff

Gary_W
29-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi,

Soon to take delivery of my first ever diesel car (2.0 TDIe A4).

As I am a diesel virgin, could someone please tell me if the 'advanced' diesels offered at the garages for premium prices are the kind of fuels I should be using and if so what are the advantages? Or can I just ignore the marketing and squirt in the regular stuff?

It's going to be a big effort of concentration when I fill up as the autopilot will certainly want to cut in to put in petrol. Not what I need especially as my wife is going to be keeping my B6 A4 which is a petrol model and it's usually me that gets the job of filling them both.... I remember fondly that VW diesel advert a few years back with the cute child swearing and feel it may be a vision of a very real future :aargh4:

Gary

pitch3110
29-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I have tried the expensive stuff in the past and really no change on engines of this ilk.

Having said that using high oct' fuel in Wifeys ED30 makes a great deal of difference.

ta

robtt09
29-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I swear by Millers octane booster for diesels.It does make a difference .Try it.

richard100
29-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I swear by Millers octane booster for diesels.It does make a difference .Try it.
Does it boost fuel consumption or power? I've never been very happy with the fuel consumption of my 2.0 Tdi 143.

leehal
04-01-2010, 01:18 AM
helps increase fuel economy, runs smoother too

Alan02
04-01-2010, 12:58 PM

This stuff did increase the Cetane rating by 3.5 in tests but didnt show to give any significant torque/power increase.Never actually use any of these products myself.

engineermk
04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
You may want to check out this thread, the comments are about petrol but they apply to Diesel too.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222&order=desc&page=2

producedapples
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Cheap supermarket diesels are classed as city diesels as have a lower sulphur content, sulphur being a very good lubricant for pumps. you will find decent diesels like v power diesel have more sulphur in them , thus protecting your injection system..

engineermk
04-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Sulphur - why its so low...

Ultra low sulphur diesel is required by cars that have DPF's (particlate filters), the sulphur level is typically 10ppm (or 0.01%) or less.

High sulphur levels will damage the DPF, you can't buy high sulphur diesel at forecourts in the UK because of this.

In the US diesel has a much higher sulphur level and this is one os the main reasons they don't sell diesel cars there.

producedapples
04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
More sulphur than city diesels, city diesels will say "low sulphur" , stuff like v power diesel wont say that, :)