PDA

View Full Version : Polo 1043 stalling when V. cold

vwjules125
07-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Occasionally, when the weather is icy, my 1990(H) 1043 Polo cuts out whenever the clutch is depressed, but only while the engine is well below operating temp. The prob disappears as soon as the temp gauge needle starts to rise. This model (carb. fed) has a 'two-way valve' which applies a vacuum feed to the carb (Pierburg 1B3) when cold, to increase the idle speed. The valve is working but whatever controls it doesn't seem to do anything to operate it. I think this is the problem because I've checked everything else I can think of, unless... :1zhelp: Anyway, does anyone know what controls this valve (attached to bulkhead to right of carb, with two vacuum pipes attached, one from inlet manifold, the other to the carb base, left hand side). The carb is otherwise faultless (now I've replaced the pull-down unit) which is pretty amazing considering their reputation!

Cheers.

smoko
09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I have similar trouble with my 86 1043. Mechanic says auto choke is shot and I am now looking for a manual choke carb or manual choke conversion kit