PDA

View Full Version : My A4 has electrical problem, can somebody help?

Ayodele
28-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Hello there,
please I'm having a problem (electrical) with my car AUDI A4, 1999 model. It just couldn't start.
Some technician said its KEY CODE problem but the key doesn't look like it has censor, other said its a problem with my BRAIN BOX.
I used Automatic Diagnoser to diagnosed the problem. It showed "Engine electrical faulty and Immobilizer faulty". Am not sure the car has immobilizer. I bought the car as a used car from a local car dealer in Nigeria.
I'm so confused, please help me out. Any information you can give will go a long way in assisting me.
Thank you.

Ayodele.
(Port Harcourt, Nigeria)

chris_r
28-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Your car does have an immobiliser, you just don't have to do anything to make it work. Inside the key there's a chip that the car detects when you try to start the engine. If the chip is not there or is not recognised by the ECU (the cars computer) then the engine will not start. You r5eally need an experienced technician with the appropriate diagnostics equipment to assess the fault and advise on a repair.

olds_kool
28-12-2009, 06:41 PM
i thought its just european models that had immo

chris_r
28-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Ok. got me there.

Your car may have an immobiliser, if it does you just don't have to do anything to make it work. To find out if you have, open the key and look for a tiny glass transponder; it'll look like a shiney black grain of rice. If you've not got one of those then you can rule out the immobliiser as a problem.

I had a problem with a car failing to start. It turned out to be a faulty ECU that couldn't detect the transponder in the key. A secondhand ECU was bought, along with the transponder key from the vehicle it was originally fitted to, and that solved the problem.

Copiertech
28-12-2009, 10:30 PM
some had issues with the wiring to the transponder reader loop and audi brought out a modified bit of wiring to sort it, I cant remember the exact details but it wasalso mentioned in an issue of Car Mechanics magazine.

bez101
28-12-2009, 10:34 PM
some had issues with the wiring to the transponder reader loop and audi brought out a modified bit of wiring to sort it, I cant remember the exact details but it wasalso mentioned in an issue of Car Mechanics magazine.
yep ur right iv had that on a few a4's prety easy to fit and cheap it runs from the immobliser aerial round the ignition

olds_kool
29-12-2009, 03:05 AM
does it start then cut out or not start at all?