PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Polo 1.4 Cold / Damp starting and running problems

mungo_55
27-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi,

Hoping somebody can help me with this.

I've been having problems with my 1997 Polo when I leave it for more than a day in damp / cold conditions without driving it. For quite a while it wouldnt start properly. A garage changed the coolant temperature sensor but that didnt seem to work. I also changed the plugs / distributor cap and sprayed damp start all over the place. Then I also got a rattle from the exhaust, so I took it into the garage again and they found the core of the catalytic converter had broken up so changed the cat. That seemed to fix the starting problem.

However, once started the engine runs very rough and takes ages to settle down. Even then, when you try to move off it often judders and splutters and just wont accelerate. Worst is when you think youve got it running ok, but slow down for a junction and try to move off again in a low gear and again it wont accelerate. I've also noticed that going along at a reasonable speed on the motorway, if I try to accelerate away from that speed it wont do it, just coughs and moans again.

I was wondering if its a fuel metering problem where maybe its putting too much petrol in when you hit the accelerator pedal.

Any ideas ? Driving it around in this state after its been sitting in the cold and damp is downright scary !

Cheers

Mungo

callum0510
09-02-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm having a similar problem. I have no idea what it might be. I'm no good with cars, so i've been looking up about this problem. I had to get an AA man out for a non-related problem and it said my car doesn't have the pull that it should do when i accelerate. Also, when pulling away it judders, like you said, and it just seems sluggish. I sometimes have to put my foot right down on the accelerator for it to get the power.
I recently got it serviced, although I needed to go out so the oil fuel filter needs to be changed, but when i changed the spark plugs and the oil filter it seemed to make a slight change.

I'm wondering whether it's anything to do with the battery? Because the other morning, when it was freezing cold, the engine stalled when i'd just started moving, and then when i finally got it started again, the radio wouldn't work. When it stalls like this i have to keep turning the key and pumping the accelerator to get it started, then it runs fine, still with the juddering and sluggishness though.

You worked out what's causing it yet?

martinrhodes
11-01-2011, 02:19 PM
check your ignition leads - I had this problem on an old Audi A6
All the symptons of fuel starvation, but just a lead breaking down on load