PDA

View Full Version : '98 Polo 1.0 won't start

adorable_misfit
26-12-2009, 04:01 PM
On Christmas eve, my Polo died on me. Initially, it started fine, I drove about 10 feet from my house, and then the engine just stopped - I thought I had just stalled it, but it wouldn't start again. Have tried several times over the last few days, but it's just not starting. I was hoping it might just be the cold, but there's been a thaw around here (Cardiff) today and it still won't start.

There's plenty of power in the battery, it cranks but doesn't start. There's a nearly full tank of petrol, but when you press the gas pedal, nothing happens. I've visually checked all the fuses, which look fine, but that's about as far as my knowledge of cars goes. Could it be the petrol pump? I was just hoping someone might have some suggestions of what might be wrong with it & could explain if I could possibly sort it out myself (bearing in mind I'll probably need illustrations, lol! Unfortunately, my husband doesn't drive and knows even less about cars than I do, so he's no help.)... otherwise I'll just have to resort to having it towed to the nearest garage for repairs next week when things open again after the bank holidays.

Here's hoping!

Miriam