PDA

View Full Version : Best NEW VAG car for approx £20k???

RickT
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
heres a VAG related question...

Above there is a poll for the car which you would have for approx £20K from the VAG-Range.

I have tried as hard as i can to keep the size of the car simliar to ensure a fair test. (but some VAG ranges are a little cheaper so had to upscale the car, )

Power and spec is down to what you get for your money from the VAG choice you go for...

I would like you all to have a think just out of intrest and vote the car which you would go for and post to say WHY??

(before the thread goes off topic with other cars etc.. can we try to stick to the ones i have chose to start with and take it from there)

Škoda Octavia vRS 2.0T FSI 200bhp F £17470 £17725

Seat Leon -
2.0 T FSI Cupra 5 240PS F £19622.00

VW Golf -

GTI 2.0 T-FSI 3 door 2.0 ltr 6 speed manual 200BHP £20,607.00

Audi A3
Sport 2.0 TFSI (http://ak4-uk.audi.co.uk/controller.do?mandant=ak4_uk&slot=model&slot-value=8P1B2C%5C2%5CGRCMRCM%5CMHKA9AK)200 6 speedhttp://ak4-uk.audi.co.uk/img/jumper.gifDetails (http://ak4-uk.audi.co.uk/controller.do?next=&page=&slot-value=&slot-explicit=&slot=&kind=&v_r=&v_z=&v_d=&v_x=&v_cb=&v_mod_sort=&v_serie=&v_basics_images=&v_basics_details=&v_extras=&v_extras_images=&v_extras_details=&v_accessories=&v_accessories#)£20,525.00

From the above... which car would you go for????

Honest answer.. put your wallet where your mouth is...

My honest answer is the VRS, because you are getting a lot for your money and i know the build quality is there and its a great car.. but sadly i can honestly say i could not put my money where my mouth is and i would have to go for the VW Golf or the Audi A3..

Your thoughts please.

RickT

Huweth
10-05-2007, 01:17 AM
I would go for the Leon. Most power and build is up to scratch (just!).
Why are there no Diesels!!!!!

MalcQV
10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
I said A3 because I really like the look. It was between that and the Golf.
I have one or two creaks and groans on the Pasty and have not heard of anything like that on the Audi's. Not sure if the Seat will be any better than a VW.

My boss is getting a Skoda Octavia 4wd estate soon, so I guess I am going to see how good they are ;)

I would like to point out that I probably would not personally spend £20k on a new car normally.

RickT
10-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks for your input...

In regards to Diesels... theres too much of a price gap for the same engine i found across the range..

I thought i would choose cars with the same silmair lump..

RicKT

Ben
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I went for the seat.

Diesel poll please.

Lex Luthor
10-05-2007, 08:57 PM
They are all teeth rattling speeding ticket magnets.
How about some sensible cars.

RickT
10-05-2007, 10:07 PM
They are all teeth rattling speeding ticket magnets.
How about some sensible cars.

all cars are sensible.. it depends whos behind the wheel.. :biglaugh: it does not matter if your in a 1.0 litre Corsa or a Zonda.. if your going to drive unsafe, its unsfae in any car.. (and yes.. speed can be a factor, but you cant decide the speed of another person you crash in to!)

Anyway.. back on topic..

RicKT

shooey88
10-05-2007, 11:00 PM
it all comes down to snobbery really. ud go for the audi or the vw as the neighbours would be impressed compared to the latter two models. as all the cars share similar build design and share same parts. therefore are all built by the same manufacturing company. however, the difference is people expect less of a skoda due to its old reputation so its hard to price it with the prestige badge of an audi. so for 20 000 go for something that will hold its value like audi or the golf

guyg
10-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Octy for me - the Missus has one and the build quality is better than my Passat; it also has a tad more room than the others. The Leon is a bit too go-cart like for my taste.

Guy

onzarob
10-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I went for the Octavia, reason being I've driven one and wow and its £3000 cheaper than the golf, but the same car (ish).

All car depricated like crazy these days approx 50% over 3 years. so you will have lost £8K on the skoda and £10 on the golf...but had a very similar drive for 3 years;)

Now there's logic for you....;)

shooey88
10-05-2007, 11:14 PM
yeah but sum cars hold value for longer...buying a phaeton you would have lost a fortune in a few years. whilst if you bought the same exact car but as the bentley GT it would still be holding its moneys worth and probs still be expensive in years to come.

onzarob
10-05-2007, 11:21 PM
But you can loose £20K on a bently GT in a year, but then it probaley cost nearer 100K, but thats a different type of car, the cars above are essentially the same car.

shooey88
10-05-2007, 11:26 PM
the bentley and pheaton are made in the same factory and made with the same parts. working on most VAG cars the audis, skodas, seats are all the same. they all suffer from the same problems. just change the looks of it.

RickT
10-05-2007, 11:41 PM
it all comes down to snobbery really. ud go for the audi or the vw as the neighbours would be impressed compared to the latter two models. as all the cars share similar build design and share same parts. therefore are all built by the same manufacturing company. however, the difference is people expect less of a skoda due to its old reputation so its hard to price it with the prestige badge of an audi. so for 20 000 go for something that will hold its value like audi or the golf

i totally agree... hence my first post..
Quote RickT

My honest answer is the VRS, because you are getting a lot for your money and i know the build quality is there and its a great car.. but sadly i can honestly say i could not put my money where my mouth is and i would have to go for the VW Golf or the Audi A3..

Its all about pride.. but.. if i had to put an other 20 years on my age i would be Skoda..

It looks like this thread has been a success with some great postive answers,,

ie... Rob..

Quote Rob

I went for the Octavia, reason being I've driven one and wow and its £3000 cheaper than the golf, but the same car (ish).

All car depricated like crazy these days approx 50% over 3 years. so you will have lost £8K on the skoda and £10 on the golf...but had a very similar drive for 3 years;)

Now there's logic for you....;)

So whos going to buy me the car you all choose..??

RicKT

guyg
10-05-2007, 11:52 PM

There's one other factor to consider - have a look at http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10.html?apc=3128339010848601

Where's VW, Seat and Audi?

VW and Seat are in the middle and Audi are in the bottom 10!
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10_worst.html?apc=3128339010848601

If they all use more or less the same parts, it has to be in the build - no?

My next car is going to be a Superb; no question... [Now I've gone off topic!]

Cheers

Guy

RickT
11-05-2007, 12:08 AM
There's one other factor to consider - have a look at http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10.html?apc=3128339010848601

Cheers

Guy

this is a tough one to answer... the problem that affects the reliabilty is also the software that is used to assess faults..

As Audi claim to keep things under wraps, the general public tend to have to good back to audi rather than a local garage hence provding negative reports..

ones thing i have leant with these "votes" is to take it with a pitch of salt.. as its only focused at "private" buyers rather than fleet.. so when its out of your pocket you moan more when your paying £100 per hour compared to £35 per hour of the lower class of car..

RickT

iaint
11-05-2007, 09:40 AM

Cheers

Guy

I'd argue that there may not be much difference in the quality but the perception of the badge clouds peoples opinions with regards to these surveys. For example someone who buys a premium brand car will expect premium brand service, whereas someone buying a budget brand may have lower expectations.

My wife drives a Skoda and everytime she visits the dealer she is treated like royalty, I would say our experience of Skoda dealers is better than the experience I have recieved from any other dealer.

I on the other hand drive a VW and get the impression whenever I visit the dealer that I am an inconvenience to them and they would rather I just left and didn't bother them again.

My wifes Skoda is no more reliable or unreliable than my VW but when I bought into VW ownership I expected more from the dealers. I haven't filled out a customer satisfaction survey but would rate the Skoda experience much higher than the VW one. Maybe this is what shows in these surveys rather than the actual overall reliability of one car over another.

Just a thought.
Iain

shooey88
11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
the skoda has less expectations and people think if it even makes it to the garage thats a good thing....due to the clouded judgement of its previous history.
the good thing about the skodas is that they use the old technology taken from vw and audi and are tested tried and proven previously. whilst the audi tries new technology that has teething problems. but once these teething problems are sorted the technology is passed on if any good to vw, then skoda etc.

RickT
11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
the skoda has less expectations and people think if it even makes it to the garage thats a good thing....due to the clouded judgement of its previous history.
the good thing about the skodas is that they use the old technology taken from vw and audi and are tested tried and proven previously. whilst the audi tries new technology that has teething problems. but once these teething problems are sorted the technology is passed on if any good to vw, then skoda etc.

Spot on..

Skoda are really in the best postion, as all know faults are resolved with the older technogly.

RicKT

guyg
11-05-2007, 07:22 PM

I might be wrong, but wasn't the Fabia the first small car in the group to have the current floorpan that was subsequently extended to the Polo and Seat etc. ?

Guy

shooey88
11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
floor plan design isnt quite technology is it? come on get a good arguement to my statement!
audi has been using central locking, cruise control, rain sensors, parking sensors, etc for years....sum skodas dont even have electric windows or central locking on all models.

guyg
11-05-2007, 09:11 PM
floor plan design isnt quite technology is it?

Floor pan design is the biggest and most expensive part of car production; and development cost is the main reason individual manufacturers have converged into big groups.

The floorpan design underpins everything else that comes after - suspension, handling, safety etc.

In the 80's, some of the smaller car companies couldn't afford to develop new designs on their own and there were famous collaborations like the type four platform that underpinned Saab, Alfa, Lancia and Fiat.

We now have Jags on Mondeo floorpans and Saabs on Vectra underpinnings. This is all to maximise the colossal amount of cash, design technology and development that goes into producing a floorpan.

If you have a crash, it's not the multivalve engine that will protect you....

sum skodas dont even have electric windows or central locking on all models.

The last time I took my Passat in for a service, they gave me a brand new VW as a loan car, it had no central locking and wind-down windows and door linings that felt like they were made of cardboard.

My partner's Octy has more toys than my SE Passat.

My last car was an A6, the current one is a Passat and my next will be a Superb...

Cheers,

Guy

RickT
11-05-2007, 10:55 PM
seem to be going a little off topic.. but some points raised..

RickT

onzarob
12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
If I'm not mistaken all theese models have the same engine, the only complaint about my brother in laws Octavia I could find was that it didn't have an automatic dimming rear view mirror....oh actually 2 complaints ...It wasn't mine:zx11:

guyg
12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
seem to be going a little off topic..
RickT
Sorry - I'll try not to bite next time... ;)

Cheers

Guy

shooey88
12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
it was more of a bark then a bite :biglaugh:

if i was in a crash id prefer an airbag and a seat belt to a mutli valve engine or even the great technology of the floor pan design!!!!!!!

the bugatti veyron must have spent millions developing its floor plan design and not worrying about anything else!!!!!!!!!

im sure in the 80s when there wasnt much technology that was probs the most expensive bit in the design of a car.

off the topic...but nothing wrong with a bit of banter :Blush2:

just to settle the war i am a skoda lover....am proud and not shy to show it. lol

RickT
16-05-2007, 11:51 PM
so far it looks like the Seat Leon - 2.0 T FSI Cupra 5 240PS is the winner...

8-10 years ago Seat would not of been in a poll with Audi, VW, and as for Skoda its one of the best car manafactures turn around of all time i think..

RickT

MalcQV
17-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Did you ever drive the pre-VAG Seats? I had a Ibiza as a courtesy car in 92. It was the worst thing I have ever beheld or driven. They along with Skoda they are not the same car now at all.

guyg
17-05-2007, 09:27 AM
I think you also have to consider the factories and workforce in all of this; you can build the identical car in two different plants and customers can have a completely different experience that is dependent on the culture, morale and work ethics of the staff involved.

I also think build quality goes in cycles with intorduction of new factories, models etc. The best built cars are often the runout models just before they get replaced [and they often get bundled with lots of extra toys for free].

I don't know if this is true, but I was told that one of the reasons the badges on Skodas are so big is that it the workforce wanted to show they were proud of their work and their product. This apparently came out of one of the regular consultations Skoda management have with the workforce...

Cheers

Guy

Froggy
17-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Well not necessarily - These surveys are not always easy to take at face value. They are often biased towards a customer's perceived expectation , rather than actual problems.

An Audi customer is probably going to have a higher level of expectation than a Skoda customer, after all he perceives he is in a premium brand, and therefore expects a premium service and reliability.

And I would disagree about the build quality - I think that Audi's, on the whole, are better put together than a Seat for instance, but you pay a premium for it.

Just my 2p worth

martinjdw
17-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I voted A3; my wife has had two so far and they are very nice to drive, sporty yet comfortable, and well put together too.

One thing I don't like about the current one though is the dodgem car type accelerator.

MalcQV
17-05-2007, 12:44 PM
One thing I don't like about the current one though is the dodgem car type accelerator.

A floor pivoted one?

martinjdw
17-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah that's the one, it didn't feel right to me, but I suppose you'd get used to it, I don't drive the car very often.

nicfw
26-05-2007, 07:20 PM
The Vrs - that's a lot of car there at the top of its own pedigree- as opposed to the VW or AUDI which have far more expensive cars in their groups. SKODA are not fools and they will be trying as hard as **** to engineer that to the best they can. And that's pretty good as most user surveys show.

NicholasP
27-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Went for the Audi because its quick, fine looking, and the interior is just lovely

dubwizard
27-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Has to be the seat,for the sheer power of it:Blush:

Archroy
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I put my money where my mouth is ! I bought a VRS ! Like it for its understated looks and fine manners, pokey too !:biglaugh:
£2500 grand more for an older golf with same lump but less spec? no-brainer !

Archroy...........

RickT
08-06-2007, 12:31 AM
I put my money where my mouth is ! I bought a VRS ! Like it for its understated looks and fine manners, pokey too !:biglaugh:
£2500 grand more for an older golf with same lump but less spec? no-brainer !

Archroy...........

Well done!! and Congrats on the purchase...

Ensure you get the photos of her uploaded!!

RickT

RickT
15-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Just thought i would pull this out of the woodwork....

Rick

andy_c_v
15-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I said the seat leon cupra

Dont get me wrong i love my Vw to bits.

But thats one sexy car.

Saw a black one yesterday, was nice.

Captain Answer
16-11-2007, 02:18 AM
My money would go on the A3, love that car

m4xmw
18-11-2007, 10:45 AM
A contractor at work has had 2 octavia vrs`s and thrashed the daylights out of them .... and from cold too.

Never had much go wrong with tham either...
He does 30k a year and is 6ft 5...20 odd stones....and scottish.

I`d honestly say if I was in the market with my own money I`d buy the Skoda.

MArk

Golfer777
25-08-2009, 09:16 AM
heres a VAG related question...

Above there is a poll for the car which you would have for approx £20K from the VAG-Range.

I have tried as hard as i can to keep the size of the car simliar to ensure a fair test. (but some VAG ranges are a little cheaper so had to upscale the car, )

Power and spec is down to what you get for your money from the VAG choice you go for...

I would like you all to have a think just out of intrest and vote the car which you would go for and post to say WHY??

(before the thread goes off topic with other cars etc.. can we try to stick to the ones i have chose to start with and take it from there)

Škoda Octavia vRS 2.0T FSI 200bhp F £17470 £17725

Seat Leon -
2.0 T FSI Cupra 5 240PS F £19622.00

VW Golf -

GTI 2.0 T-FSI 3 door 2.0 ltr 6 speed manual 200BHP £20,607.00

Audi A3
Sport 2.0 TFSI (http://ak4-uk.audi.co.uk/controller.do?mandant=ak4_uk&slot=model&slot-value=8P1B2C%5C2%5CGRCMRCM%5CMHKA9AK)200 6 speedhttp://ak4-uk.audi.co.uk/img/jumper.gifDetails (http://ak4-uk.audi.co.uk/controller.do?next=&page=&slot-value=&slot-explicit=&slot=&kind=&v_r=&v_z=&v_d=&v_x=&v_cb=&v_mod_sort=&v_serie=&v_basics_images=&v_basics_details=&v_extras=&v_extras_images=&v_extras_details=&v_accessories=&v_accessories#)£20,525.00

From the above... which car would you go for????

Your thoughts please.

RickT

What about the Seat Exeo 2.0TDI?

onzarob
25-08-2009, 11:03 AM
What about the Seat Exeo 2.0TDI?

Was it out in 2007???

MalcQV
25-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Was it out in 2007???
But it is out now!

onzarob
25-08-2009, 01:32 PM
But it is out now!

The threads 2 years old now. would you all like to do a new poll? :p

UltraViolet
25-08-2009, 03:59 PM
If company car, Leon.

If private, Golf.

Reason...... the Leon would be the most fun to drive (IMO) and styling wise it is nicest - however it depreciates more heaviliy than the Golf and costs more in servicing etc.

A3 would be out because when I went for test drives, the salesman at my local was an idiot. Also the front passenger wheel arch intrusion was too much. Also felt a bit claustraphobic.

Octavia would be out as it doesn't IMO drive as well as the Golf or Leon and it costs more in running/servicing and depreciates more.

Golf = sensible choice. Leon = more for the heart.

macmillions
25-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Leon for me!

The one I test drove (I know was diesel FR) but taking the engine out of the equation, the ride was firm, but not uncomfortable, loads of feel through the wheel, looked fab, and the engine I can only imagine is bonkers, as I drove a Scirocco with the 200PS lump... and that was RUDDY FAST!!!

Also, every man and his dog has an Audi or Golf now, I would want something that has a little more of a 'left field' appeal.

paulthefox
25-08-2009, 09:18 PM
skoda for me because it is as well built as the vw /audi/seat and you have change in your pocket

how vw /audi can charge extra for the exact same running gear is beyond me

badge snobbery me thinks prob upset some people on here saying that hey but who cares you asked for opinions:beerchug:

paul

onzarob
25-08-2009, 10:09 PM
badge snobbery me thinks prob upset some people on here saying that hey but who cares you asked for opinions:beerchug:

paul

As a second hand buyer I set myself a amount to spend, then end up we eith VW,Audi, Seat or Skoda.

If I was to buy new, then the Skoda Octavia VRS would probably win...GTI engine, Sensible price tag and look great :)

MalcQV
26-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I would like to add (just to be awkward :p) I just simply would not buy any brand new VAG car (in fact no brand new car). If I could have a company car that would be different, thing is company cars usually have to be sensible but my choice would be err mmm errr one of the A4's I guess. Are there any below £20k?? Just checked on the configurator I would be hard pushed. The basic standard poverty trimmed one with a 1.8 petrol engine may just come in below £20k :yikes: As I said not new!

Best VAG car by far is the RS4, second hand you could get one for less than £20k and nothing else in the VAG stable new or old comes close for me.

Most of them for less than £20k are mega mile estates!!! forget it I don't want one :D

paul b
26-08-2009, 09:52 AM
There are little things that make my Skoda, a Skoda and not a VW or an Audi. But the Skoda is still a good car, IMO certainly better than anything French or Japanese that you can buy today.

Personally, with £20k I'd either go for the Leon Cupra R or the A3 Sport.

But in reality, with £20k I'd go and buy a second hand RS6, A8 or Merc E55 AMG.

UltraViolet
26-08-2009, 12:48 PM
skoda for me because it is as well built as the vw /audi/seat and you have change in your pocket

how vw /audi can charge extra for the exact same running gear is beyond me

paul

Except that over 3 years, the Skoda works out to be more expensive.

Crasher
26-08-2009, 01:31 PM
No contest, Octavia VRS, preferably the petrol.

paulthefox
26-08-2009, 03:40 PM
cheers crasher :beerchug: glad to see someone agree's with me that pound for performance its hard to beat :biglaugh:

paul

Crasher
26-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I had recently been considering replacing my Octavia 1 VRS with a new facelift model but what put me off was the falling rock deprecation. To pay £23K for the car to the spec I want and to have it fall to less than £10K in three years time would make me ill.

s4-matt
26-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Went for the A3 but even as a owner of an A3 from new I won't be rushing back at the end of the 3 years to get another.

I put down the best part of 5K assuming (stupidly/naively) that I would see some of it back but with second hand car prices the way they are (even VAG's) I'll be going second hand next time. The new car smell for me is just not worth the cost.

Second hand a4/a5 for me.

onzarob
26-08-2009, 08:55 PM
If I was to buy new, then the Skoda Octavia VRS would probably win...GTI engine, Sensible price tag and look great :)

cheers crasher :beerchug: glad to see someone agree's with me that pound for performance its hard to beat :biglaugh:

paul

What about me, see above :p

less than £10K in three years time would make me ill.

That is why I just can't buy new, I just can't afford to lose 10K in 20 years, So 3years is just mental:puke: