PDA

View Full Version : Please Help ignition barrel has turned against me

Chopper666
24-12-2009, 12:58 PM
my B3 is a "work in progress", it has been sat in the car park at work for a while and not used a great deal. Started it up yesterday without a problem. left it running and went inside to get some de-icer. it had cut out by time i got back. Tried to restart - nothing happening.
electrics still appear to work ie hazards. took key out (break was over)and came back to it later, to find key would not now fit in the ignition barrel. it was as if i was trying to start the car with a totally wrong key.
Had some barrel issues before, which had not had time yet to explore - fuel and temp guages did not work so senders were replaced - still not working - then jiggled key in ignition and they came to life. (released key and went off again)
Any ideas? - this was intended to be a daily smoker as my V8 a swine on fuel, however has only done 600 miles since June, want to get my finger out and get it up and running so that i can trick it up if poss in summer.
thanks all and merry xmas etc etc

martin1810
24-12-2009, 01:28 PM
From memory I think you turn the key to ON, just before start. Then push a paper clip into the little hole next to the key hole. This releases the lock I think. You need to watch out for any wires (coil reader wire) and unclip them. Once you have done this you can test whether the lock is giving grief or the contacts below. Hope this helps. It's been a long time since I looked at one.

kenney
24-12-2009, 01:42 PM
On the pre 97 Passat to remove the ignition barrel,you will have to drill a hole (in a certain position)on the housing,To be able to do this and remove the barrel,the key must be in the ignition on position.The fact you had problems entering the key suggests there is something wrong with the barrel,and at the same time the electrical part of the switch seems not to be working as it should

Chopper666
24-12-2009, 01:45 PM
what about new barrels listed on ebay? would it be worth ordering one

kenney
24-12-2009, 02:09 PM
With a new barrel,you will get a different key,which will need adapting to the immo,and then the fact you will have 2 sets of keys 1 for the doors and 1 for the ignition,

Chopper666
25-12-2009, 10:26 AM
its on a K plate, will it have an immobiliser?
thanks for your help

kenney
25-12-2009, 12:23 PM
On the Passat 3A model from 1994 onwards have immo

Chopper666
05-01-2010, 04:40 PM
car is a on a K plate

kenney
05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
As stated from 1994 onward all VW's have the immobilizer.The locking barrel has nothing to do with the immo,the reading coil.is fitted around the barrel,but your problem, is if you get a different key,by replacing the barrel.The immo transponder chip is in the key.If you have a diesel engine up to 96 model the immo can be easily disabled,Either way the lock housing must be removed to replace the electrical part of the ignition switch,PM your e-mail address and i will forward you how to replace both items

Chopper666
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
many thanks - sent you PM