PDA

View Full Version : A6 TDI 2.5 Quatrro Starting Problems????

dooley1414
09-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi to everyone.... I am very new to this FORUM and it looks like a few of you could help me.... I hope????

Wll here goes....

I have a 2.5 TDI 1999 A6 andif left for any length of time it just will not start? She will turn over as she shpuld but not a sign of firing up? Until that is I give her a little spray of EASY START/COLD START up th air filter. I know it could just be the Glow Plugs. But just asking you lot could it be something else? like a sensor telling the engine not to activate because the engine is already warm? Please help if you can.

Thanks great site.... dooley1414.

acetaylor
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
you're right, sounds like it might be your glow plugs not producing enough heat to create the first bang.
replace air filter.
then try replacing the plugs (not expensive and easy to do on your own (careful not to cross tread them into the head otherwise it is helicoil time!)).
if not this then maybe the glow plugs are not recieving enough power hence they are getting hot enough.
check all fuses in the fuse box.
if still nothing then take it to a pro for a full VAG diagnostic.

hope this is some help

good luck

snapdragon
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
When it does start, does it start normally, or chug and puff white smoke and gradually smooth out?
What engine code? You shouldn't be needing glowplugs if the outside temp is above 10 degrees C. They will come on to reduce noise and emmissions (pre heat, cranking heat and post heat), but you definately won't need them to start the engine. Be aware that a glow plug light on these doesn't tell you when the glow plugs are powered up, it just goes off telling you when to start, they stay on at reduced power for up to 3 minutes after starting the engine too. What is more, you should get a code if they fail, and a fair few would have to

I would check that air isn't being drawn into the fuel system and draining the fuel back to the tank. replace the textile covered fuel leak-off pipes between each injector and returning to the pump - these are a common failure point at that age, and check the fuel filter, have a good sniff around the engine bay for diesel leaks when hot. You need a VAG COM to do comprehensive checks.

RichardC
15-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi
Just joined this forum as I too am having starting prolems, and very similar to this thread. Snapdragon suggested checking the textile pipes at each injector. Did this work/solve the problem? :zx11:

RichardC
16-01-2008, 09:55 PM
[quote=RichardC;115437]Hi
:zx11: Just joined this forum as I too am having starting prolems, and very similar to this thread. Snapdragon suggested checking the textile pipes at each injector. Did this work and solve the problem?