PDA

View Full Version : Question What snow chains/tyres

tjwatts
21-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I know we only get snow like we have now, very occasionally...

However, living in a rural area, it's a real pain to either not be able to drive or to be on the point of getting stuck on nearly every hill.

I was wondering about either snow chains/cables or next time the front tyres need doing (few months) whether to look at some snow-all tyres (snow optimised, but all seasons capable).

Anyone had any experiences of either chains or snow tyres on the larger VWs?

Cheers

Tim

hotmetal
19-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Hello mate. I'm in a foreign corner of the forum here, as I'm a Golf owner, but your question is being discussed everywhere. I don't have experience of chains or snow tyres on bigger VWs but I was thinking of getting some all-season 'compromise' tyres, which are not as good as proper winter tyres in snow, and not quite as good as normal tyres the rest of the time, but should be great for cold, wet and slightly snowy days. Apparently Vredestein Quatracs are a good all-season tyre (if you can find them).

I have bought some snow socks (autosock.co.uk) and so has my mate with an Octavia 130TDi. I've only used mine once, but found them helpful. My mate with the Skoda has been merrily driving up and down snowy steep hills with no bother. He loves them. They're a piece of p*** to fit (as long as you're not already stuck because you slip them on, drive half a wheel's worth and slip the remaining bit on). The downside is you are limited to 30mph and should ideally take them off when you get to non-snowy tarmac or you wear them out. The other downside is that most stockists are probably sold out now the snow is actually here. Mine cost £55 from a Vauxhall garage but I've seen a used pair on ebay for £109 now the snow is here and supply is low!!!

Winter tyres grip many times better and last longer than ordinary tyres when the weather is below 7°C, but are not as good (too squishy and low speed rating) for summer. Therefore you need a second set of wheels and somewhere to store them.

Snow chains are frowned upon because of the damage they inflict on the road.

http://www.autosock.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/autosock_high_performance_size_645_one_pair_no_as6 45/njNA_v1i5Z_

phil miller
19-12-2010, 10:21 PM
At work we have a couple of customers who have a set of winter tyres, at around the middle of november they come in and we fit the 4 winter tyres to there wheels then in about march they will come in and we will refit there normal tyres, ok bit of a pain for them to store a set of tyres when they arent in use but ive been told they transform the car when the roads are covered in snow

snow socks look good (i saw my first set the other day) but i dont like the idea of having to remove them when the road gets better

marten
23-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi there and merry cristmas.
As an person living in scandinavia you get what we always have here in winter.
if you want really got winter tyres choose nokian,continental, gislaved and try to make it not for continental use like the rain in northen germany. make shure it is for nordic countries. we have special areas here like arjeplog where all tyre and car makers come and test their products all winter long. if its good for them it will fix your little snow and ice there in uk.
M.G

Rob69
04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi TJ
I've recently had a set of four pirelli wintersport tyres fitted to my wifes Touran, (205/55/16) and the difference is night and day, we've had snow and ice up here in rural Aberdeenshire since late November and the Touran was struggling. As far as chains go, I'd avoid, as they are a pain to fit, have to be taken off for tarmac or slush, and will take off your wing if they come loose (pal at work had this happen), snow socks seem to be a cheap get you home option but won't last long on anything but hard pack snow. I'd avoid fitting only front winter tyres, I was heading up to Braemar in my pals Passat with only winters on the front, the front grips well but the back end is prone to letting go unpredictably. might also be an issue with insurance if you prang it with only fronts on.
Looking forward to springtime !!!!
Cheers
Rob