PDA

View Full Version : Lpg

Fettler
09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before,(too lazy to search) Has anyone on here converted there petrol engine to run on LPG?
If yes which kit did you use and how much?

buster
09-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before,(too lazy to search) Has anyone on here converted there petrol engine to run on LPG?

Wow that is lazy. :D

At this precise moment, this is the first thread in the list (Chat - Just to talk about cars) and the second one is all about LPG conversion!

Captain Answer
09-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Which kit you use depends on your engine type, its not all that hard to do tho :D

jp_paul
09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Weird.... I posted about LPG ages ago :

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2923

As a quick summary, I've converted a 1.8 NE engine'd Audi 80 (also done a scirrocco GT2 recently by transplanting the kit) and currently run an Audi 90 Quattro 2.2 KV on gas. Cars with carbs are the easiest to convert. Cars with Bosch K Jetronic or K-E Jetronic (like merc 190e's which i've also had on gas) are the next easiest, however the long distance between the AMF metering plate and the lpg mixer on the audi 2.2s means that there's only one way to get it to run right on gas, and thats sacrificing the ability to burn petrol. Get a 100l tank and thats not an issue. After all, why pay 96p/l when you can pay 45p/l?!? As for MPI cars, they're all different and there's various choices to be made between gas injectors or conventional mixers and emulators.

Kits can be purchased from £500 if you want to fit it yourself, or around a grand all in. I have a good contact for kits but its in the Midlands - pm me for details. He can also certify your work to lpga standards, so no worries with the insurance. No extra premium is charged by the major insurers.

Any thing else?
Jp

Cookin on gas

buster
09-05-2007, 07:00 PM
My experience was to get as much info as possible before doing anything.

I had a choice of a 2.4 or 2.7T back in 2004. Both V6, A6, avant quattros, but I was told, wrongly, that you could not convert a turbocharged engine!

I didn't even think to check that information and went for the 2.4.

Nice car and I did like it, but I was always a little disappointed that I didn't get the 2.7. (sorted that now :D)

After all, why pay 96p/l when you can pay 45p/l?!?

I filled up when in Derby on saturday at 37.8P/L

So, get as much info as you can and don't believe everything you hear.

jp_paul
09-05-2007, 07:07 PM
37.8p. was that at shell ockbrook on the a52? thats worth a detour for sure.

Kudos on the court battle btw

buster
09-05-2007, 07:28 PM
37.8p. was that at shell ockbrook on the a52? thats worth a detour for sure.

Autotech, Nottingham Road, Ripley, Derbyshire. DE5 3AS

This is the place where I had mine converted and they sell autogas at 37.8p litre although they advertise it at 37.9?

There is always Flogas at Newthorpe, NG16 3QU at 39p

jp_paul
09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Ta mate

Captain Answer
10-05-2007, 12:25 AM

This is the place where I had mine converted and they sell autogas at 37.8p litre although they advertise it at 37.9?

Think its about that price at Asda in spondon, I'll have a look next time i fill 'er up :Blush:

Joust
19-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Hi Buster,

Looking at a 2.7TQ tomorrow, if I bought the car I would want to gas convert it. Could you share some information on the system fitted and where you got it from etc?

Cheers

Joust

buster
19-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi Buster,

Looking at a 2.7TQ tomorrow, if I bought the car I would want to gas convert it. Could you share some information on the system fitted and where you got it from etc?

Cheers

Joust

I got it from Autotech, Nottingham Road, Ripley, Derbyshire. DE5 3AS

They fitted it and charged me around £1,800 plus vat (Quite a lot)

What else do you want to know?

Captain Answer
20-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Thats fairly average I think, and if they did a good job why quibble?

Joust
20-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Hi Buster,

The cost is what I would expect to pay for a top notch installation....

Which system was fitted, and does it run OK, any issues, particularly under full load?

Cheers

Joust