PDA

View Full Version : Touran smoke from pipe underneath

johnxl1s
20-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Purcahsed a 1.9 diesal touran, just this morning (snowing here in belfast) the wife started the car up a belch of smoke cam for a pipe under the ehgine near the drivers side wheel... i put it down to the cold i.e snow etc, anyone any ideas .. seems to run ok
thanks
john

kenney
20-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I think maybe that would be the auxilary heater,if you have one

johnxl1s
20-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi kenny
thanks for the reply.. whats the auxliiary heater?.. can it be turned off of what does it do?
thanks
john

kenney
20-12-2009, 05:01 PM
The heater (Webasto)heats the coolant,it starts automatically with an ambient temp of lower than 5 degrees,heats the coolant up to 70degrees,then stops,if the coolant temperature is lower than the 70 degrees,it then starts again.If you look under the vehicle,you should see the exhaust pipe,around and behind the right front wheel,,

altaylorvw
13-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Is this Aux heater a similar type to the diesel fed one fitted to the Sharan?. Many smoke issues reported with that elsewhere on this forum.
Interested as I have a 7 month old 1.9tdi Se, and saw this smoke coming from underneath engine this morning - cold engine.

tourantog
16-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Is this Aux heater a similar type to the diesel fed one fitted to the Sharan?. Many smoke issues reported with that elsewhere on this forum.
Interested as I have a 7 month old 1.9tdi Se, and saw this smoke coming from underneath engine this morning - cold engine.

Press the economy button on the dash and the heater turns off.

Gary M
16-01-2010, 11:11 PM
I think this is another 'don't fret about it too much' issue. We have had a similar problem on a 2004 'Ran, had a replacement heater fitted under VW warranty which made not alot of difference. I have noticed the new heater belching a bit of smoke recently under cold ambient temps, the primary inconvenience is the 'smoke' (actually diesel 'white smoke = unburnt diesel) being sucked into the cabin when the vehicle is stationary which is nauseating. Once you are on the move and the car is warmed up the problem disappears.