PDA

View Full Version : musky smell

sean red i
09-05-2007, 03:22 AM
sorry if this is an old one had a look cant find an answer. climate control working fine (air-con cold. econ ok) if you have air-con on for a while then change to econ you get a musky/damp smell for while. then it will clear in a few minutes. it will also give out smell when you first turn heater on (econ only no air con). started only a couple of weeks ago. gas on air con full checked pressure with gauge. could it be the pollen filter?. car serviced 3 months ago, not shore if pollen filter changed (need to check)
any help is appreciated
thanks sean.

Sam
09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Start with the pollen filter.

Aircon does get musty if you're not using it frequently and there are some sprays available that you squirt into the vents.

Marco34
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Also check the drain hole under the battery. Remove the top cover so you can get access to battery area. I had the same smell as the weather got warmer last year. Only when I removed that did I find the battery and everything else sat in water. I removed 9 litres of rotten water!! :zx11:

That's extrame but it's worth cleaning and checking for any debris (leaves etc) that can go off and smell.

sean red i
09-05-2007, 12:34 PM
had a good look around under battery brake fluid area, dry as bone no leaves etc. phoned dealer to see if pollen filter changed on service 3 months ago, they said it was. Told them of problem and they said its not uncommon. They apparantly put a disinfectant in the system to clear it. They also said its covered under warranty. Booked it in for 17th so its free and worth a go. let you no if sorts it out.
thanks for help. cheers sean

sean red i
18-05-2007, 06:01 PM
update. went to dealer, they took an hour and now seems ok, so far so good no smell.
cheers sean.

RickT
18-05-2007, 11:50 PM
update. went to dealer, they took an hour and now seems ok, so far so good no smell.
cheers sean.

what did they do may i ask??

RickT

sean red i
19-05-2007, 09:52 AM
they told me they had disinfected the system. what that meant not sure. i was still in a bit of shock to be honest, i was test driving a new s4 while it was being done. what a car but to pricey for me.
cheers sean

JR001
22-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Sean,

Glad to hear all is better.

I'd recommend checking these air freshs/deods out mate. They are simply awesome. They never smell of the usual gluey solvent stuff that most seem to be based on. They linger very well and are always pleasant. My neighbour tried the coconut and told me I wasn't getting it back and promptly handed £5 over the fence!!!!!

Watermelon is cracking, as is cherry. The only trouble is, they are all bloody good.

http://www.carwashnwax.com/

They can be sprayed in the air, on fabrics and best of all in all of the vents about 20 mins before journey.

andywell
25-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I had this problem as well with my Mk V Golf. The dealer recommended having the the aircon re-charged. I had that done and it seemed to do the trick