View Full Version : Odd smell in 2004 A4 Cabriolet

shook
18-12-2009, 09:57 AM
So far, I've had the following comments:

"Do you have dogs?"

"It smells a bit like a public convenience in here."

"What a weird smell."

"Why does your car smell like a hospital ward?"

It isn't exaclty horrible, just a little bit unpleasant.

I've tried everything, febreeze, leather conditioner, vacuuming, carpet freshening, neutradol gel etc.

It won't go away.

I think it might be the actual smell of the leather and materials used in the dash, meaning my car must have somehow managed to avoid the Audi 'Nose Team', and maybe meaning I can't do anything about it?

Any ideas? :(

kite
18-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Dirty aircon, get a aircon cleaner from Halfords.

shook
18-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Dirty aircon, get a aircon cleaner from Halfords.

But the smell is most obvious when I first get in the car, when it hasn't been used for a day or two?

Could it still be the air con?

kite
18-12-2009, 10:14 AM
When you use the heating does it smell like wet socks ?
The aircon can get a build up of bacteria causing a bad smell, could be a good place to start.
Just a thought is the carpet damp on your front pax side ?
The bulkhead drains can block causing water to run into the footwell, most people have trouble with their electrics when this happens as the CCU is under the pax seat...

shook
18-12-2009, 10:28 AM
No the heater/aircon air doesn't seem to smell. I will get some aircon cleaner though, might as well cover all bases. Haven't noticed any dampness either, and upon a close up inspection the carpets don't seem to pong. Hmm...

vwcamperman
18-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe you sholud get a valet including a wet carpet clean. It might have had somthing spilt on the carpets and they have dryed out with getting all the liquid out first :biglaugh:

fourringsrus
18-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Yep Shook ,if somebody has had a previous spillage and not cleaned up properly....stink
and as above damp in the carpet will fill your cabby up with more stink after a couple of days at rest, but worth as Kite says clean the air con system ,the bacteria he mentions will be unpleasent and not good for your health.
I once had a 5 series Bmw(sorry gang) which had the same problem and because the bacteria is being blasted through the vents I ended up with a bl--dy nasty eye infection causing me to cut short a family holiday
I think another reason that your a/c system may be due a clean is the fact that a cabriolet might not use a/c so much compared to roof open etc
Apart from the PRETTY car stinking how are you settling with her?
Stuart

shook
19-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Apart from the PRETTY car stinking how are you settling with her?
Stuart

I got the air con cleaner and used it. Gave the car a good airing and will check it tomorrow. Will wet wash the carpets too, either myself or at a valet service place...

The smell isn't too bad, just enough for me to notice it when I get in. Bit annoying. Sort of very slightly dank.

Aside from that she's great! Got the cambelt replaced and the multitronic oil changed as a precaution: no junk in the old oil, so so far so good.

She's certainly got the looks, very happy with her :Blush:

S

fourringsrus
19-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Smashing

shook
27-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Update:

Well, the smell is still there, but my gf is convinced it's caused by cheap cleaning products that have been used previously (hence the 'public convenience' flavours :/)

Anyway I'm close to just living with it.

I've read about ozone treatment for stubborn smells, anyone know anything about it or where I could get it done?

fourringsrus
28-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Shook, it just occured to me that if you have had a previous coolant leak into the cockpit you may get a rather nasty niff, a bit like curry hang about in the carpets.
Some valet/cleaning companies that I used to work for can clean you interior and leave it smelling just how you want it ;ie scent of citrus ,apple ,leather new car etc ,just ask, it shouldn't cost any more.
Stuart

shook
28-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey Shook, it just occured to me that if you have had a previous coolant leak into the cockpit you may get a rather nasty niff, a bit like curry hang about in the carpets.
Some valet/cleaning companies that I used to work for can clean you interior and leave it smelling just how you want it ;ie scent of citrus ,apple ,leather new car etc ,just ask, it shouldn't cost any more.
Stuart

There was a minor external coolant leak which a mechanic spotted and fixed... that may well explain it! I'll ask around about the valeting. Nice one...

s