PDA

View Full Version : Attention Shark Performance STS unit now supports 1.4TSi and new 2.0TSi

shark_90
18-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I am pleased to announce that our Self Tuning System now supports the newest generation petrol ECUs as found in the 1.4TSi, 1.8TFSi and 2.0TFSi/TSi amongst others.

Those who have had STS units on pre-order will be contacted today to finalise their orders and arrange the shipping. The great news for those who are looking for a bargain is that the STS is currently available an the amazing price of £399 - which is actually cheaper than having the map done by us at the workshop - a saving of £200 on the combined price!

Place your order before December 31st to take advantage of this crazy offer! I assure you, it will never be repeated!

For more information on the STS unit, see http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk

golf_bhoy87
07-04-2010, 11:02 PM
daft question i know....
but my dad has just bought a 1.4tsi......if he got it remapped would vw void the warranty?

maisbitt
08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Almost certainly, for anything that went pop under the bonnet at least.

I've had a turbo go on 2 of my last 5 VWs - I wouldn't take the risk with a remap, i've definitely had my money's worth out of the warranty with recent cars.

Warranty is like insurance - give them a reason not to pay out and they will give you nothing when things go wrong.

Some might say that VW over-engineer and there's scope to improve the performance with existing components, but when you consider that the Seat Cupra and Audi S3's have harder pistons and valves than the standard 200PS version of the same engine found in a MK5 Golf GTI, as well as putting a bigger turbo in, you have to ask why they do that rather than just remapping the 200PS unit to 240 or 265PS like a remapper would have you do.

golf_bhoy87
08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Almost certainly, for anything that went pop under the bonnet at least.

I've had a turbo go on 2 of my last 5 VWs - I wouldn't take the risk with a remap, i've definitely had my money's worth out of the warranty with recent cars.

Warranty is like insurance - give them a reason not to pay out and they will give you nothing when things go wrong.

Some might say that VW over-engineer and there's scope to improve the performance with existing components, but when you consider that the Seat Cupra and Audi S3's have harder pistons and valves than the standard 200PS version of the same engine found in a MK5 Golf GTI, as well as putting a bigger turbo in, you have to ask why they do that rather than just remapping the 200PS unit to 240 or 265PS like a remapper would have you do.

well i think we'll be giving that a miss on the scirocco atleast, might get my golf done at some point which is out of warranty....

I know....does the S3 and the cupra not have the same engine as the R32 though?

tbh i think they keep alot of the power hidden, so when they bring something new out they can put the power on it, makes them look gd if you get what i mean

maisbitt
09-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Cupra and S3 both have the 2.0TSI unit, not the 3.2 unit from the R32. Cupra was tuned to 240PS and S3 was tuned to 265PS.

Chipping is not something i'd consider until the warranty has passed, and even then it's an insurance minefield.

The higher output standard equivalents are usually considered safer than a chipped model of the same power as more powerful brakes are usually added.

golf_bhoy87
09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Cupra and S3 both have the 2.0TSI unit, not the 3.2 unit from the R32. Cupra was tuned to 240PS and S3 was tuned to 265PS.

Chipping is not something i'd consider until the warranty has passed, and even then it's an insurance minefield.

The higher output standard equivalents are usually considered safer than a chipped model of the same power as more powerful brakes are usually added.

orite I must admit I didn't know that....but now that I think about it, thats true....as VW are getting close to 300PS from the scirocco and golf Rs and they are 2 litre engines....

strange

shark_90
09-04-2010, 05:29 PM

They actually have the older 2.0TFSI unit which is belt driven and has Bosch MED9.1 management, where the 2.0TSI is chain driven and runs MED17.5 management

There are several instances of the same hardware running different ECU mapping to produce higher/lower power outputs. Some that spring to mind are the Audi A4 B7 2.0TFSI Special Edition which was 220PS vs the standard 200PS. Same engine, same brakes (but the front discs were drilled). Another is the Audi TT quattro Sport which was 240PS vs the standard 225PS on the same hardware.

A cracking example is the older generation Mercedes 2.2CDI engined Sprinters and Vitos.. the x11 (110PS) and x15 (150PS) models use exactly the same 2.2 engine, just different mapping.
Thanks for trying to put everyone off either way :beerchug:

maisbitt
12-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Shark: Your 2 officially VAG chipped Audi examples amounted to an output increase of just 10% over the standard output, and one of those had a brake modification.

If you start taking a 200PS engine and upping it to 260+ PS and don't improve the brakes then it stands to reason that it's less safe than an official "R" version with noticeably better standard brakes than the 200PS version - there's a good reason why VAG charge a lot more than an extra £400-600 more for the extra power, in their case they're adding on a lot more than a remap.

Engine/Turbo longevity is a big factor too - VAG don't use harder pistons and bigger turbos on their higher output versions of the same engine for no good reason, the standard ones may last, but some won't want to take that risk.

If i've put anyone off. it'll be those who wanted to know all the facts before invalidating their warranty (and possibly their insurance) on their cherished £20K+ car. The whole story has now been told, you need to know the negatives and the positives to any major decision - and a remapper is only ever going to tell their customers the positives.

Those who were wanting remap anyway won't be put off - they'll already know the potential pitfalls, and will just be looking for a competitive price.

shark_90
12-04-2010, 01:28 PM
If i've put anyone off. it'll be those who wanted to know all the facts before invalidating their warranty (and possibly their insurance) on their cherished £20K+ car. The whole story has now been told, you need to know the negatives and the positives to any major decision - and a remapper is only ever going to tell their customers the positives.
I pride myself on honesty and I'm proud to say that the reputations of Shark Performance and me personally both mirror that.

If you had a good read through our website (which I imagine that you haven't) you will see that we don't "only ever tell customers the positives" - others may do that, but please do not tar me or my business with the same brush. Our tagline is "Tuning Redefined" for a reason.

maisbitt
12-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Shark: I thought forums were for discussion - don't get radgy because I highlighted a few of the potential negatives to a remap.

So you're an honest dealer. Honest and surly to a non-customer who tried to offer some advice to the person who asked for it - Golfbhoy.

It's obvious that someone trying to sell a product is going to put a positive spin on their product, I was just redressing the balance - there are 2 sides to every story, and you're only going to tell 1 half (or put more emphasis on the positive half) if it gets you a sale.

I was just expressing my opinion that it's a bit risky to remap a car that is too young to not still be under warranty. If that person knows the facts and goes ahead with the sale then that's fine, they know the risk that they are taking.

Golfbhoy asked if his remap would void the warranty on his warrantied car - and I answered correctly, what is your problem?

shark_90
12-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm not being "radgy" and I have no problem with the factual information that you posted whatsoever. I was merely pointing out inaccuracies in your post to ensure that anyone reading this thread in the future has read the correct information.

Yes, a remap could invalidate engine and possibly drivetrain warranty. But it has to be proven that the remap was the cause or a contributing factor to the failure.

I think I'll close this discussion here and leave the remainder of your points and your provocative attitude out of the factual discussion.