PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T or 1.8T Quattro

nickpw27
08-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi all, Im currently looking into getting either an 1.8T or 1.8T quattro, just wondered if there any owners out there who can give any pros or cons about owning either model, anything i should be looking out for? Is it true the quattro is slightly slower? Whats tyre wear like on the quattro? thanks in advance
nick

RickT
08-05-2007, 11:43 PM
The Q is a little slower due to the weight, but thats in perfect dry conditions. also it is not noticable.

it all depends on what you want.. Tyre wear is a little harser on the rears but nothing to a greatr deal..

If the price is the same go Q, if its an extra 1k i would have to think about it..

One major advantage is wet weather and snow.. but it all comes down to how you drive..

From a resale point of view your always going to get back a little more cash..

Cons...

Guess you have something else to go wrong with the power running via the rears... (but the Q system is great and strong)

i would be intrested in getting a few more replies on here and seeing what others think..

RickT

Huweth
09-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Fuel consumption will be a little higher on the Q. Possibly more transmission noise? The need to rotate tyres front/rear more often to keep tread similar?
I'd quite happily live with any of those things.

sean red i
09-05-2007, 02:57 AM
got 1.8t quattro,rear tyres last longer than fronts but wont last for 2 sets of fronts (michelin sports) 14k fronts 18k rears roughly. heavier car quattro but get 190bhp if you want extra kick (got 190 bhp )ive got no complaints with the speed. the handling is great corners flat and sticks like glue, the spec is higher on the quattro, more buttons. servicing cost higher though (quattro oil, diff etc). cant say its louder drive than 2 wheel drive car havent noticed.
cheers sean
fuel i get 34mpg normal 25mpg with my heavy foot according to D I S

nickynibbles
09-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Mines the 3.0 Quattro, they only do a quattro with the 3.0 for a good reason, 216 bhp through the front wheels in a reasonably heavy 4-door saloon or estate would be a handling nightmare!! I'd say if your looking at a 190 bhp 1.8T then the quattro would probably be a very good idea from a handling perspective but if its a 163 bhp not so much of a problem. Driving style wont play too on tyre wear, quattro's have a tendancy to slighty understeer anyway so the fronts will take the brunt of hard cornering whichever drive you've got. Obviously the rears will wear a little quicker though on quattro's. I echo the comments above though, if its for roughly the same money, get the quattro, they have a cooler image!!

nickpw27
09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi all,
thanks for all your very helpful responses there, certainly giving me a bit to think about, seems I leaning towards the quattro more. Has anyone out there previously owned a BMW and compare the 1.8t or quattro against a BMW? need to act quick before my trustly leon lets all the water in now the wet weathers arrived!

sean red i
09-05-2007, 02:44 PM
mate has a 320 bmw, 03 plate. i dont think build quality is as good (bit rattly and loud) power delivery seems slower than mine. when he pushes it i feel like the back is going to step out even under braking.
another mate also has 3.0 quattro a4, also a nice car. the power dlivery is very different to 1.8t. if you did choose a qauttro no harm in driving both.
cheers sean

nickynibbles
10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Very good point from Sean Red i, go test drive both options. When I was looking to buy I ummed & ahh'd between a 1.8t & the 3.0 so just arranged test drives on both cars locally with no intention of actually buying the cars but just to check out which one I preferred, made me a lot more informed when it came to actually hunting for the spec I wanted. As for the V's BMW question, i've driven a '01 320 and my mates 330 ci & I prefer the A4 hands down! The BMW has a tendancy to have a light rear end under hard driving as its only rear wheel drive, fine if you like power slides but a bit un-nerving if you dont plan on it happening! Had a v.nasty moment on the M3 in the 320, overtaking in the rain at night, hit a puddle whilst accelerating and the back end started aquaplanning and shook about a bit before catching grip again, not much fun! My mates 330 ci although very nice & ever so slightly quicker in a straight line drag race than my 3.0 quattro, I **** all over him getting off the line and going round bends. A 2wd 1.8T i drove handled better than the 320 i'd driven, much more sure footed in corners. Other consideration I had between a 330 & my 3.0 quattro is that the BMW is more to insure & costs more to buy, another point for the A4!

skymaster
14-05-2007, 04:06 PM
A friend of mine just sold his BMW 325 and bought a newer shape 2.0 T quattro A4. I went with him for the test drive in the A4 and the way he took bends and roundabouts was quite frankly laughable! Both myself and the salesman had to tell him that he was no longer in the BMW and could put his foot down through bends!

He has since gotten used to it but it was funny at first.

I have a TDI quattro and love flooring it around empty roundabouts. What I can do in the A4 would leave his old BMW facing the wrong way in the road!

Quattro is one of those things that you hardly ever need to rely on but when you do utilise it it's really good. Also having the little badge is good as well! Makes the car seem more special!

AudiSport
16-05-2007, 07:43 AM
I,m looking at both the Q and standard 1.8T models myself. However, I'm concerned at the extra fuel the Q would use.. I'm guessing the MPG will be quite different between the two models???

skymaster
16-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes, I would say MPG is considerably worse with quattro. On the 130 TDIs I think the 2WD is roughly 1300 KG whereas the Q is closer to 2000 KG! I only average about 35 MPG on my TDI 130 and I assume it's because of the extra weight.

It still has brisk performance though.

I think Quattro helps at re sale a lot. Somone said that on 2-4 year old models it actually adds more to the value than it costs as an option when new!

When I wanted one I had to hunt and hunt to find it.

nickynibbles
16-05-2007, 07:14 PM
1.8T 163bhp Quattro Sport weighs 1,455kg
1.8T 163bhp Sport weighs 1,375kg

Not a huge difference in weight but would make a little difference to the fuel economy. Also the quattro only has a 66l tr tank, that'll save you 4kg roughly over the 2wd's 70ltr tank! My 3.0 quattro sport should be a real drinker and it does when you drive with a heavy right foot, but I dont very often and the latest tank i thought i'd drive as economically as possible, getting a read out of 31 mpg and it'll need a fill up tomorrow so will get the true mpg figure which normally is a little more than read out. Simple lesson, if you dont want to use so much fuel, dont drive so hard, shouldnt stop you buying a quattro!!

vagjunkie
24-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I've just changed from a mildly modded mk3 tdi golf with approx 180bhp. to an 04 2.5 tdi Quattro 180 sport a4. I test drove the same car only front wheel drive which was ever so slightly quicker in a straight line and slighty better mpg, but I bought the Quattro anyway. If I drive half respectably on a long run I can return 40-45 mpg. When I do let her stretch those legs every corner lets me know I made the right choice, and roundabouts you'll love them. If its Smiles :D to gallon you want get the Quattro. Do beware high miles on Quattro's though as can be expensive to repair.

RickT
25-05-2007, 12:09 AM
what a postive thread.... to be honest... which ever you go for you will enjoy.... and also wish it was an RS4... lol..

RickT

StickmanStu
20-12-2007, 01:17 AM
hi all,

well i have to say after owning a std 2wd a3 turbo S for over a year and a half, i got to know the car really well, it was cool but.... I just got myself a v reg a3 turbo quattro and its is a farrrr superior car. the extra 30bhp more than make up for the extra weight but just get it chipped up to 200/210 bhp and it'll put a smile on ur face.

im luvin the traction in the quattro, its just amazing in the wet.

now i want a better turbo as i was unlucky and only got the ko3 rather thean the ko3s in my quattro, darn it......! anybody know anything about why some have ko3s and other dont?

oh yea my waterpump broke the otherday aswell, only had the car 6 weeks...plus it only had its cambelt chaged last year....arrrgh! why didnt the doenut do the waterpump at the same time!?

ta

stu

:Blush: