PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Bearings Adjustable?

thedktor
17-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi all,

Checking over my sisters 96 1.6 saloon and found a small amount of play in both rear wheels.

Are they adjustable? There was an advisory last year on the same, so the bearings can't be k-nacked or they would have failed ages ago!

Thanks for advice

Steve

g40jon
17-12-2009, 04:12 PM
yes, you should be able to just nip them up a bit more. remove the split pin and take off the nut cover, then turn the nut till its tight, then back it off slightly, refit the cap and split pin

zollaf
17-12-2009, 06:26 PM
you should still be able to feel the slightest amount of play in them. its critical you dont overtighten them. while your there it sounds like now would be a good time to take them out to give them a good clean and regrease.

thedktor
24-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Sorry for slow response - thanks for the reply.

My sister put the car in for MOT anyway, and bizarrely it only failed on front disks!

The twist is that she was going to give the car to me in the New Year (I'm out of work and lost my car with the job).

But as the car needs £300 for the garage to fix it (headlight and some other minor things need sorting) she has given up with it as she has a new car on its way.

So... I might still get it but will have to sort it myself. Not a problem as long as I can do it for less than 200-quid....

g40jon
24-12-2009, 03:10 PM
disks can be had off of ebay for cheap

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-96-99-1-4-CLASSIC-BRAKE-DISC-PAD-KIT_W0QQitemZ200408587441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea9485cb1

and im sure the rest can be easilly and cheaply repaired

fishy09
26-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi thedktor,

Make sure you order the correct parts if you get from Ebay as these cars can have Solid or Vented disks & the pads will be different, series 1 or 2 type i think they were called.

The rears can also be different regardless of what the application books say ! , i bought shoes P/no 175's for 99 1.4 Polo CL without ABS & it turned out vehicle is fitted with the larger OD 200 mm version.

Straightforward job though only problem i had was the Allen head slide bolts that retain the front calipers, the heads were knackered & i had to use small vice grip to loosen 2 of them.

good luck

Fishy

thedktor
28-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the replies - I think I will get the disks off and take em with me to the local auto factors. Seems they are only 20-25 quid each so not too bad....