PDA

View Full Version : new jetta 06 owner questions

tpv01
15-12-2009, 11:36 PM
just bought a 06 jetta 2.0tdi sport. have a couple of questions?

1. seen the ipod connection accessory at the dealer for £150 fitted but on ebay it seems the cables cost about £30. would be prepared to get a cable off the bay and fit it myself but where does it connect and do you need to program it to see it? worked on car stereos before so should be competant but want to check before i have to rip holes in my new car.

2. do i have MFD? i dont have the steering wheel buttons but do have the mpg/average mph/etc readout and the 2 memories. reading in the booklet it says you have to access the MFD memory to change some of the functions like coming home lights extra but i cant access any menu on what it says to do with the windscreen wiper stalk buttons. do i just not have MFD so i cant access this menu?? how do i alter some of these functions if i want to?

3. the car came with no floor mats and is already looking grubby. how much does a set of 4 mats from VW cost? if it is very expensive are any of the ebay sets worthwhile and have the fixing clips?

Bluesmurff09
16-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I have a 2.0 TDi CR 140bhp (now 185-190bhp) sport and they are a great car!

The MFD only controls the coming home lights etc when you have the highline computer which is above the normal computer screen on the instument panel. If like me this is blank, you need to get VW to change the settings to your pref including:

Coming Home Lights,
Auto Lock
Mirrors dipping in reverse (if you have reversing sensors)

Great cars though and when you re-map them they go like stink so they make a great sleeper which throws a few other drivers out when you shoot past them!!!

Let me know how you get on.

Mat

nc7503
16-12-2009, 09:14 PM
car mats will cost your around £55/60 from vw,try as you say ebay or euro car parts., both come with the locating holes in the mats, be careful with fitting you ipod conection to your stereo, have a look in the "how to" section on this site my friend tried this on his golf and somehow triggered the airbag warning light on the dashboard:o

tpv01
28-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi,

I have a 2.0 TDi CR 140bhp (now 185-190bhp) sport and they are a great car!

The MFD only controls the coming home lights etc when you have the highline computer which is above the normal computer screen on the instument panel. If like me this is blank, you need to get VW to change the settings to your pref including:

Coming Home Lights,
Auto Lock
Mirrors dipping in reverse (if you have reversing sensors)

Great cars though and when you re-map them they go like stink so they make a great sleeper which throws a few other drivers out when you shoot past them!!!

Let me know how you get on.

Mat

car mats will cost your around £55/60 from vw,try as you say ebay or euro car parts., both come with the locating holes in the mats, be careful with fitting you ipod conection to your stereo, have a look in the "how to" section on this site my friend tried this on his golf and somehow triggered the airbag warning light on the dashboard:o

thanks guys both these responses are really helpful.

maybe i get the official ipod connection and get VW to install it. £130 is alot of money but dont want to start messing with the thing when its in such good condition.

the mats will have to be a work in progress. vw also gave me a quote of 50 for the set which is too much but want to be careful getting them mail order on the internet as i want them properly fitting with the locating holes and of decent quality. i saw the fitted mats halfords do today and they dont fell great.

bluesmurff, what else of those options can you request vw to alter?? do they charge for doing it? i am not a fan of the double button push to unlock all the doors and other stuff like that.

also about chipping these cars....i have read about that before and i thought that the only variation with the 170hp cars is a racey chip.....but how does this affect; warrenty/servicing, insurance, fuel economy (i get between 48-52 on long journies and an average of 45 since owning the car which i am very happy about and would want to loose) and resale (is it quite easy return to the orginal state when putting into a service/selling on but just simply replacing a chip or something??)

thanks

Bluesmurff09
29-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi,

I get between 46-52 to the gallon as a remap actualy makes the car more economical.

I got VW to alter the remote locking to unlock all doors on one press of the button. The auto lock comes on at 5 mph and all the doors unlock when you turn the ignition off.

VW did not charge for the options to be programmed as I got them done when I bought the car as a used buy from the main dealer.

You can also get the coming home lights delay time changed so they stay on for as long as you want them to stay on for once you unlock or lock the doors.

PS 140 Cr remapped to 185-190 bhp it goees like sh*t of a shovel!!!!!

Mat

tpv01
30-12-2009, 11:04 AM
who did you remapping? i bought mine from main dealer and will be taking it back to keep the service history.....can you do that if you tamper with the mapping??

Bluesmurff09
31-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Cant remember as the main dealer sorted it and the remap is not tracable plus the main dealer said it won't effect the warranty because of this.

tpv01
31-12-2009, 07:52 PM
i think i will leave the remapping for now while as i am still getting used to the car.

tpv01
31-12-2009, 07:55 PM
oh and one other thing..........?

is there a DAB attachment for the RCD300 radio i have? i saw one in the jetta brochure from vw but dont know if that is only for the newer radios??

Bluesmurff09
01-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure about the DAB, let me know if it has please.

SC03OTT
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Cant remember as the main dealer sorted it and the remap is not tracable plus the main dealer said it won't effect the warranty because of this.

I'm pretty sure none of that is true. They can detect remaps, and if they find out about it and you experience a major engine failure, they will show you the door.

I remember reading on a Seat forum about a guy who bought a brand new Leon Cupra, remapped it and then engine basically blew up a few weeks later. Anyway, Seat told him to jog on, and he was pretty much left with a £20k paper weight.

However, the OP has an 06 model, so it probably doesn't have any warranty remaining.