PDA

View Full Version : If you have MMI + Phone Prep + AMI here's the icing on the cake

davidsheddan
15-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey gang,

Just a quick heads up on a pretty cool wee piece of technology that is worth looking at for any of you with iPhone's iPod touches or laptops.

I've been working for the past few months on in-car wifi. There are kits available from the states but hugely pricey. I had a solution built for A5's with storage pack (with rear cigarette lighter). Based on a specific Linksys router with a usb 3g stick and a convertor for cigarette lighter worked pretty well.. Hand if your out and about - at a resturant and car was parked out side could surf using your laptop.

Anyway as is always the case technology improves. I have just picked up one of the 3 networks MiFI (basically HSDPA modem + wifi hotspot). Its a tiny huwawi modem with wifi in it. It fits perfectly in the centre concsole of an A5 (even with an iPhone cradle in it) and is battery powered when ignition is off.

Only had it for the day, but already works a treat. I'm working on getting it powered from cigarette lighter (doesn't look to be too hard : is mini usb) and also figuring out whether the modem itself can be changed to a different network (eg T-mobile which has much better rates and coverage in Glasgow area).

I'll take a few pictures if anyone is interested. Nice upshot : lets you make VoIP calls from your iPhone : think skype :-)

Modem : 49 + 20 credit : can be pay monthly or on contract. Anyone else let me know if your interested in the details .:beerchug:

morski
22-12-2009, 01:58 PM
HI, please ca you post some pics of this system your talking about, and any other details you have
thanks