PDA

View Full Version : Wipers not turning off?

u03am5
15-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi, I have an 1997 A4 1.9 Tdi and I’m having strange problems with my wipers.

Every time I start the ignition or engine with the wipers in the off position they come on and do about 10 wipes then stop but they do not return to their normal position at the bottom of the windscreen but rather stop half way, in my field of vision. When I push them down to do a single wipe they do the same 10 wipes and stop in a random position, this also happens when I put them on the washer setting. When I put them on a ‘intermittent’ or ‘on’ setting the are fine but when I return them to the ‘off’ position the do the same thing. They have also on very rare occasions stopped working on every setting but then been fine the next day.

I have removed the wiper stalk switch and was going to replace it but realised it was not faulty as when I turned the ignition (with the switch removed) the wipers did the same 10 wipes and stopped in a random position.

Does anyone have any suggestion as I’m stumped at this one, cheers.

arthurdaly
06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi, I have an 1997 A4 1.9 Tdi and I’m having strange problems with my wipers.

Every time I start the ignition or engine with the wipers in the off position they come on and do about 10 wipes then stop but they do not return to their normal position at the bottom of the windscreen but rather stop half way, in my field of vision. When I push them down to do a single wipe they do the same 10 wipes and stop in a random position, this also happens when I put them on the washer setting. When I put them on a ‘intermittent’ or ‘on’ setting the are fine but when I return them to the ‘off’ position the do the same thing. They have also on very rare occasions stopped working on every setting but then been fine the next day.

I have removed the wiper stalk switch and was going to replace it but realised it was not faulty as when I turned the ignition (with the switch removed) the wipers did the same 10 wipes and stopped in a random position.

Does anyone have any suggestion as I’m stumped at this one, cheers.

Hi :beerchug:
I have the same problem on my 98 S reg 1.8 petrol SE A4.

I think it is a relay as in icy weather the wipers would do some odd things with an audible relay like click. When the weather got better all would be well until now when they behave as the original posters.

Any ideas?
Where is the relay? How much are they.

Any advice gratefully received.

Paul

BrandonA4
06-08-2010, 11:57 PM
The relay's for the axillary electrics is under the drivers side kick panel - under the steering wheel going by my downloaded manual for the B5 and also in foot well bottom left. Not sure weather that one is drivers or passengers side hope this gives you a starting point where to look.

arthurdaly
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Brandon A4

I have found it under the steering column and have ordered a second hand replacement for £11.00 including next working day delivery, Will advise if this solves the problem.

arthurdaly
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
As promised here is the answer - now that I have found it.
I tried changing the relay for another one bought on line but this did not solve the problem.

Then I read about another car with similar problems which had arisen because blocked drainage under the battery had allowed the wiper motor to get wet. I took the motor out having separated it from the linkage (it may say in the manual it comes out in 1 piece but it doesn't). Drips from the motor confirmed the diagnosis so I took off the end cap and cleaned, dried and re greased, end of problem. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: