PDA

View Full Version : How To Change a blower motor and heater resistor

Michael Edwards
15-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anybody can give me some instruction about fitting a new blower motor and heater resistor on a 1999 Golf Gti. Many thanks

vwcabriolet1971
29-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I,ve replaced a blower motor on a MK 4 1999 110BHP TDI golf . I'ts all covered in the haynes manual - most librarys have a copy . It is quite a task as all the central centre trim starting from the rear ashtray and working forwards to the lower centre trim has to be removed to gain access to one screw holding the glove box lower trim in place.
I obtained a replacement from the local scrapyard for £20.
If obtaining a replacement from a similar source make sure you get the connecting end cable connector and a length of cable as the motor connections ( & suppliers) have varied over the years . My golf was a 'T' reg. but the replacement motor came from a 'Y' reg. I did find some water corrosion on the resistor block but I cleaned it up and all worked O.K. - checked a few times before re-fitting all the trim . The most difficult part of the job is re-aligning all the trim . An extra pair of hands is invaluable with this ( in my case my long suffering wife !). Also it is difficult not to get a few scuff marks on the trim.
Whoever the VW designer for this part of the MK 4 trim was , he should be shot in each limb every day for at least a month after having been made to change at least 20 blowers .
The later golf trim is much simpler.
Failure of the blower motor in the early MK4 golfs was a well known fault.